Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Median/Persian akinakes?
Are the any excavated examples of an akinakes that the Medes or Persians would have used in combat during the early to mid-Achaemenian dynasty? All the ones I've seen are either ceremonial (the golden ones) or come from the Steppe. I'm concerned that my Skythian-style dagger isn't correct for a Persian impression.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
I know of a few, although none from Media or Persis. Nick Sekunda The Persian Army p. 20 has two akinakes from the Iranian military colony at Deve Huyuk, plus a mineralized akinakes scabbard probably found in Egypt. The scabbard, and some surviving chapes, are also in that Forgotten Empire book by the British Museum. P.R.S. Moorey, “Iranian Troops at Deve Huyuk In Syria in the Earlier Fifth Century BC.” Levant 7 (1975) pp. 108-117 has drawings of the finds and details of the cemetary there. He thinks that the colonists were from around the region of Hyrcania.

There's also the detailed carvings on some of the Persepolis reliefs which show guards, grips, and pommels in scabbards.

My akinakes is the right shape, but is bronze which was probably uncommon outside the steppe in this period.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Okay. I'll see about that; the local Barnes and Nobles seem to stock lots of Ospreys.

Similar to a Steppe dagger, but in iron, eh? Any evidence for organic hilts?
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

I'm not sure offhand. The Oriental Institute in Chicago has put Erik Schmidt's book on the Persepolis excavations online for free (OIP 69 here). Volume 2 has the assorted rusty fragments of weapons and hilts they found ... I remember that they found a sword with a recess for hilt scales and the rivits intact, but no trace of the scales. But I'm not sure if there were any daggers like that.

That Forgotten Empires book is good too and not as expensive as many academic books.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.
Hi again,

Thank you for the links. I haven't had time this week to take a good look at the OIP issue, but I'm checking it out today.
Dan D'Silva

I ride the winds of fate
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

--  Thin Lizzy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cover for an akinakes scabbard? Dan D'Silva 13 3,751 10-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Dan D'Silva
  A Repro Sarmatian Akinakes Alanus 2 3,976 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Last Post: Alanus
  Cut of a Median hood Sean Manning 26 7,954 10-29-2007, 10:14 AM
Last Post: MeinPanzer