• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
goldsworthy\'s punics
Salve,<br>
<br>
As often I dare to speculate a bit.<br>
<br>
Mixed units<br>
<br>
The imperial <i> cohors equitata</i> was not very anomalous in composition as it seems. The imperial army had various formations incoporating both infantry and cavalry. At various times the predominantly infantry <i> cohortes praetoriae</i> had their mounted <i> speculatores</i>, <i> equites praetoriani</i> and <i> equites promoti</i>, the legions their <i> equites legionis</i>, <i> speculatores</i>, <i> stratores</i>, <i> singulares</i>, <i> protectores</i>, <i> stablesiani</i> and <i> equites promoti</i>. For both praetorian and legionary troopers it is unsure to what extent these categories overlapped. That the <i> auxilia</i> had similar units combining troops of both sorts is thus not peculiar to this branch of the armed forces. While it was once thought that since <i> equites cohortales</i> were inferior to the <i> alares</i> the infantrymen of the <i> cohortes equitatae</i> should correspondingly have been inferior to those of the <i> cohortes peditatae</i> there appear to have been no differences in status between these foot soldiers.<br>
<br>
Numbers<br>
<br>
The relative strength of the horse component attached to infantry units varied. While both literary sources (Pseudo-Hyginus, Josephus) and surviving unit strength records indicate a strength of some hundred twenty horsemen for a quingenary unit and double the number for a milliary unit, the legionary horse comprised just some ninety to hundred twenty men in available source material (Josephus, Tetrarchic rations papyrus). The praetorian horse numbered at least four hundred and possibly a thousand troopers judging by the work Pseudo-Hyginus. The strength of some three hundred horsemen attributed to the guard <i> speculatores</i> in modern works is guesswork. Thus there seems to have been no general standard guiding the ratio of cavalrymen to foot soldiers in the various formations.<br>
<br>
Recruitment<br>
<br>
The cavalrymen attached to infantry units were at least in part recruited from the ranks of the infantry. Some of such horsemen were called <i> equites promoti</i> indicating that becoming a horseman was deemed a type of promotion. The extra pay and higher prestige of the horse soldier probably made this a coveted position. The revolting Batavian auxiliaries demanded among other things an increase in the number of horsemen attached to their units. Though the equipment and horses of the <i> equites cohortales</i> were, as indicated by a speech of Hadrianus to such forces, inferior to those of the <i> alares</i>, these troopers could nevertheless be detached to the elite <i> singulares</i> of the governor's guard. Service in this type of unit brought further chances of career advancements.<br>
<br>
Armament<br>
<br>
According to the available evidence the <i> cohortes equitatae</i> comprised both standard type auxiliary units as well as archers, their structure apparently thus not determined by type of equipment and weaponry. Their equipment and mounts were of inferior quality to those used by the troopers of the 'true' cavalry regiments but otherwise similar in style combining both ranged weapons and close quarters weapons and defensive armour. That the horsemen of the part-mounted units could have splendid equipment of their own is indicated by the lavishly decorated Theilenhofen helmet.<br>
<br>
Tactical use<br>
<br>
One of the things remarked upon in the <i> Bellum Gallicum</i> was the mixing of horsemen and light infantry by the Germanic tribes that came with Ariovistus to Gaul. This tactic was later copied by Caesar when he used specially armed legionary <i> expediti</i> and <i> antesignani</i> to operate alongside his cavalry in the African campaign.<br>
<br>
It used to be thought that similar tactics were employed by the imperial era <i> cohortes equitatae</i>. However for this period the available indications for the mounted soldiers attached to infantry formations of various kinds appear to point to separate use of such forces, their numbers being brigaded into special formations and operating alongside the 'true' cavalry units. The cavalry of the <i> cohortes equitatae</i> thus seem to have been used tactically independent from their infantry and not employed for mixed cavalry/light infantry tactics. Rather the cavalry component seems to have been intended to give units an all arms capability without breaking up the elite striking force of the <i> alae</i> for such purposes.<br>
<br>
Development<br>
<br>
The horsemen of the <i> cohortes equitatae</i> were generally brigaded together and formed into special campaigning formations that became increasingly permanently detached from their mother units. Cavalry brigades like that would as <i> vexillationes</i> eventually become the elite horse formations of the Roman army of the later third century and after, thus ironically reversing the original distinction between lower grade <i> cohortales</i> and superior <i> alares</i>.<br>
<br>
<br>
The most relevant works are:<br>
<br>
Davies, R., <i> Service in the Roman army</i> (Edinburgh 1989) 336p.<br>
Goldsworthy, A.K., <i> The Roman army at war 100 BC-200AD</i> (Oxford 1996) 311p.<br>
<br>
Davies has an article on the subject while Goldsworthy discusses the use of cavalry with supporting infantry.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showLocalUserPublicProfile?login=sandervandorst>Sander van Dorst</A> at: 8/18/01 12:58:27 am<br></i>

Messages In This Thread
goldsworthy\'s punics - by Goffredo - 08-06-2001, 11:05 AM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by JRSCline - 08-06-2001, 02:00 PM
mounted light infantry - by Goffredo - 08-06-2001, 03:40 PM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by Guest - 08-16-2001, 10:09 AM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics II - by Guest - 08-16-2001, 01:00 PM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by JRSCline - 08-18-2001, 06:15 AM
Re: goldsworthy\'s punics - by Guest - 08-18-2001, 07:18 AM
Re: horns, dismounting and horse training - by Guest - 08-20-2001, 06:02 PM
Interesting - by Goffredo - 08-21-2001, 07:52 AM