Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hellenistic military reforms and innovations
I'm doing my dissertation on basically how Hellenistic states militarily reformed, innovated and re-organized in order to face new challanges. I've been doing a hell of a lot of research delving into about 62 seperate works at the current moment. I've decided to divide the actual dissertation itself into several sections and deal with them themactically instead of chronologically or nationally. The sections are :
(1.) State and Manpower (How the states and kingdoms tried to increase manpower, examples being Kleomenes III and his successors, The eastern monarchies and Philip V expansion during the 2nd and 3rd Macedonian wars etc),
(2.) Infantry (How new types of tactics and troop types were introduced and played about with, for example the Thureophoroi/Thorakitai, the adoption of the sarissa by the Achaeans, Spartans and so on, and the supposed 'Romanization' of the Ptolemaic, Seleucid and Pontic armies etc),
(3.) Cavalry (Not much on this except the decline of cavalry in this period. However i do have the Kataphraktoi being introduced as well as shields for cavalry etc),
(4.) Elephants, exotic weapons and artillery (Once again, not an amazing ammount except a shift in elephants being used defensively etc, the gradual decline of chariots etc and siege warfare and artillery - which seems to me to not have much in the way of major innovations as the technology had already been done by then...)
I was considering ending the dissertation with a conclusion based on how they changed and why in the end how the Hellenistic states were not able to overcome their enemies (Rome being enemy no.1)

Can anyone suggest any other major things that might be put into these catergories? Any other reforms, re-organizations or innovations made by states to imrpove their armies and fighting skill? (i am doing the period more or less around 280 BC onwards by the way)
I cannot find much in the way about Thureophoroi and Thorakitai except in the Cambridge history of ancient warfare and Duncan Heads book, which although helpful don't explain much about why this troop type would be chosen specifically and also little is said about thorakites.
Obviously i would appreciate any such help, and hopefully this could expand into a general discussion on the period and not a stuffy thing for me to enquire about my dissertation haha.
Jon Rosas
War Studies and History Undergraduate
Quote:I cannot find much in the way about Thureophoroi and Thorakitai except in the Cambridge history of ancient warfare and Duncan Heads book, which although helpful don't explain much about why this troop type would be chosen specifically and also little is said about thorakites.

this is a good start...
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/luke/ueda-sarson ... ates2.html
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Thanks, i think i may have come across that before, but haven't really looked into it. I'll crack on with that.
Jon Rosas
War Studies and History Undergraduate
I am working on my undergraduate thesis on Ptolemaic Egypt and others in the Hellenistic Age. I assume you've already pursued Neil Sekunda's work on the reforms of the Ptolemaic and Seleucid armies. Though it seems his work is somewhat controversial among members of this site, its rich with information and images and a good place to look for older texts on the same topic. Also, Christelle Fischer-Bovets "Army and Society in Ptolemaic Egypt" is full of information on the armies of Hellenistic Egypt in particular.

One thing that I find particularly interesting that may be of use to you, is the use of foreign fighters, mercenaries, etc. In the case of Egypt, we see an explosion of fighters from various regions of the mediteranean. Their place within the armies of the Kingdom itself is hotly debated (Sekunda touches on this). We see Nubians, Galatians, Thracians, Cypriots, Libyans, Carians, Spartans, and later even ROMANS (The Gabiniani) serving in the Ptolemaic Empire!
Zack Looney

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hellenistic / Macedonian military tents Gioal Canestrelli 0 1,334 03-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Last Post: Gioal Canestrelli