Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman handcuffs
Salvete Omnes!

First wishing all of you a Joyful Christmas and a blessed New Year.

Here is the latest fashion in bracelets, Roman Handcuffs. These are based on a find in Oberaden, Augsburg, Germany and a pretty accurate reconstruction. They were a lot of fun to make, but look deceptively simple, it took me nearly 7 hours to make this pair, starting from a billet of iron. They were made for a project Christian Koepfer is working on and will be on temporary loan to the uni next year.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
All that twisting! I can just hear them now, "If you think we went to a lot of trouble to make fancy handcuffs, Bub, wait until you see what we have in store for you back at the Interrogation Room!"

Seriously, though, what closed the bottom? A riveted chain? Some kind of lock?

You're right about the seeming simplicity. Nothing like that. The multiple heats for twisting, piercing the rivet holes, riveting, making the eye for the fastener, man...it would literally take me at least most of a day to make a pair of those, if everything worked out right. I'm sure Real Smiths could do it faster, but I never claimed to be that.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Salve David!

I am not sure how these were closed. If one puts them on with the eyes at the top of the forearm insteed of the way I showed the closure, a simple piece of rope would more then do the trick. Hammering a ring shut to close them would work very well also. That can be done cold, just a few whacks and you are not going anywhere in a hurry. The sharp edges come into play the moment you try to wiggle your hands or when the rope or chain is pulled. There have been locks found which would fit these well enough.

I could probably make a pair faster then I did, but as this is a replica, I tried to get all the measurements right of the original. Not constricted to those exact figures, I suppose a pair could be done in about four to five hours total, but you are right, it does take quite a few heats to get it all done. I started off with straight stock, as can be seen in the attached picture.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Twisting seems a pretty common decorative feature as well to be sure- it's something relatively easily done to 'spice up' a bit of steel rod. I have an original wax tablet iron stylus in my little collection that's twisted part way along its length- between the points were it contacts the hand when held, so definitely just decorative. In the case of these cuffs, which are pretty cool Robert :wink: , I wonder if it's a dual purpose at least- surely the twisted area could be uncomfortable if someone wanted it to be :twisted: I would think to that the loops being a distance away from the wrists introduces a good lever for 'suggesting' the wearer comply- as Robert suggests, by pulling on an attached rope or something; I wonder too if, when connected by a 'removable' iron ring, that makes them any more 'restrictive' than were the loops closer...
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Salve Matt!

I do not know how these were used. If you put both on, the ends protruding from the wrists with the fully closed loops can easily be bound or closed with rope or a single ring compressed shut with a hamerblow, not allowing much movement at all. The hands are a good way apart and it is difficult to reach down towards the knot or closed ring. AND painfull because of the movement causing the sharp edges to dig in. I think in this case decorative motives were far from the makers mind when these twists were put in :twisted: . I am sure Chistian will have some fun with these, as this type of experiment is exactly what they were recreated for.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Thanks, it's interesting, we the late Romans have plenty of galilean scum whom don't honour our divine Emperors as should be done. We'll put them in good use :twisted: :wink: :mrgreen:
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
nice cuffs Smile

I've made a few collars and cuffs similar to those, but I've never twisted the bars. Froma discomfort point of view then it certainly would held to prevent struggling :lol: Mind you, the ones I've made have been for the bondage market, so discomfort is less pleasant and some want them lined with leather :roll:
Thanks, David! After the project, I may put these up for auction on RAT. Unless the university wants to hang on to them, that is. I wonder is there is any market for this kind of forge work? So far, the main interest seems to be spearheads, knives and swords.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
Quote:Thanks, David! After the project, I may put these up for auction on RAT. Unless the university wants to hang on to them, that is. I wonder is there is any market for this kind of forge work? So far, the main interest seems to be spearheads, knives and swords.

You'll certainly find another good home for these, if you have too! Wink
ALA I BATAVORUM
Actually, I can think of a very good use for these.
We take hostages during our whickerman event every september. These would be ideal for that purpose!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel