Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marle InternationalHistory Festival 2010
Well about auxilia and females in the first century AD i can be certain, there were none.

Whatever the idea is of the person who wrote that message i do not know, personally i couldnt care less if there was a girl in hamata in the ranks.

The purists however do care, and that is why sometimes these things are frowned upon.. With a lot of re-enactors wearing Deepeeka incorrect stuff, and a hell of a lot of other incorrect stuff which was either not found, badly reconstructed, cheaper or whatever the reason, i think they should not speak and stop pointing out some other people who in their eyes look not to standard.

The truth is, that if you want to be fully accurate, you should buy hand made helmets, up to specs, costing about 1500 Euro at least. same with chain mail...
What you can buy these days for 500 GBP, riveted in iron is very nice indeed. plate armour also comes in varied quality.

Also, nowhere in the sources is it stated that all auxilia wore oval shields, hamatae and bronze helmets. Nowhere in the archaeological evidence, sources et cetera is it proven that what we classify as Cavalry sports helmets were not worn by higher officers like Tribunes or in the case of the Alae, decurions.

There is a lot still to be researched, and not everyone displaying these days is worth of being called totally accurate except for a few minor groups or private persons.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Well about auxilia and females in the first century AD i can be certain, there were none.

Whatever the idea is of the person who wrote that message i do not know, personally i couldnt care less if there was a girl in hamata in the ranks.

The purists however do care, and that is why sometimes these things are frowned upon.. With a lot of re-enactors wearing Deepeeka incorrect stuff, and a hell of a lot of other incorrect stuff which was either not found, badly reconstructed, cheaper or whatever the reason, i think they should shut their proverbial cloaca before pointing out some other people who in their eyes look not to standard.

The truth is, that if you want to be fully accurate, you should buy hand made helmets, up to specs, costing about 1500 Euro at least. same with chain mail...
What you can buy these days for 500 GBP, riveted in iron is very nice indeed. plate armour also comes in varied quality.

Also, nowhere in the sources is it stated that all auxilia wore oval shields, hamatae and bronze helmets. Nowhere in the archaeological evidence, sources et cetera is it proven that what we classify as Cavalry sports helmets were not worn by higher officers like Tribunes or in the case of the Alae, decurions.

There is a lot still to be researched, and not everyone displaying these days is worth of being called totally accurate except for a few minor groups or private persons.

M.VIB.M.

Ok, so we made a mistake with the female, and i find your opinions pleasing, but i stand by my words about the way to go about telling us. Instead of posting it here in RAT for all to read, this person should have contacted us, or at least refrained from hanging us out to dry, here on RAT. It reminds me that I saw some very fat legionaries at Marle, but i dont imagine that this person will be "not inviting those groups next Year", because that there probably where not very many obese men, who marched 60 miles a day. I know that this is a nasty thing to point out, but I am a bit angry about all this. Anyway, I am of the bed now.

Many thanks, Peter
Peter Alexander Manthos
Quote:Well about auxilia and females in the first century AD i can be certain, there were none.

Where do you base that on, Henk-Jan. I agree we have the impression this wasn't the case in the regular auxilia, but do we have any idea in the irregular ones of the beginning of that century? (e.g. chieftains fighting with their own personal warbant, allied to Rome)

Quote:There is a lot still to be researched, and not everyone displaying these days is worth of being called totally accurate except for a few minor groups or private persons.

Actually I don't think you're right here, either. None of us can be called totally accurate, simply by the fact that we live in the 21st century, and thus have a 21st century way of life, way of thinking, etc. Okay, some do go further in getting their kit closer to the original, but they can't be called accurate or authentic! They just show you the outfit to a very high level, based on the newest scientific view (which is also changing constantly)

And about this girl. I had a chat with here during one of the shows, and she seemed pretty serious about it, and I personally think that is most important. Still I don't know who made this comment, but as long as it is an individual, who has less to do with the organising committee of the event, I don't know what value we should add to the comment. It will be the discussion of those wo organise the event to choose who they want to join and who they don't want, not of us on this public board.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Dear comrades in arms, shall we simply cut the crap and get back on track. I strongly feel it's entirely up to Alain Nice whom he wishes to invite to a next episode of the festival, redhead or not. This is a forum where some dignity is in place, not some cheapo chatsite.
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987
Well spoken my Liege.

M.VIB.M.

Back on Topic..........
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:'So who came up with this total nonsense of exchanging a woman for a prisoner ? '
Ah that'll be my self then. Total nonsene? You Romans and your Roman ways...obviously you considered the male prisoner a more attractive prospect then the very beautiful Visgothic princess :lol:

Ingvar
Ingvar Sigurdson
Dave Huggins
Wulfheodenas
Oh darn Ingvar, this is a returning problem; the pink and purple copies of the B XXIV form are almost indistinguishable, hence a mix up of MALE PRISONER/VISIGOTH PRINCESS is easily made. I'll have a word with the Magister Cornicularium to see this settled. Sorry for that!
Paul Karremans
Chairman and founding member
Member in the Order of Orange-Nassau, awarded for services to Roman Living History in the Netherlands

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gemina.nl">http://www.gemina.nl
est.1987

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Marle late Roman festival, August22-23 2015 Robert Vermaat 0 1,770 09-03-2015, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Marle 2013 -late roman & migration period festival Agraes 47 16,115 11-26-2013, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Yeyo
  Festival Romano de Santander 2010 Iagoba 2 1,117 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
Last Post: Anonymous