Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More glue - bah
Quote: The Persian King on the other hand was the arch enemy, and wearing his despoiled armour ( or that of a Royal relative) would not only be 'honourable', but a vivid reminder to the whole Macedonian Army of what had occurred the last time they met 'The Great King'.

Absolutely. It also indicates - again accepting the historicity of the passage - the efficacy of the armour. Clearly the Macedonian conqueror was not about to deport himself in inferior armour; just as clearly he was not about to adopt the arms of a lesser mortal or, as you say, "traitor".

One wonders whether he continued to wear it: it might well have been lighter and more comfortable that the Greek (leather or whatever) versions. Whilst literary attestations of the Macedonians' proclivity for a (not so) quiet couple of kraters abound, I find no survivng trace of their anticipating the Finns in their love of the suana. The armour in the so-called "Philip II" tomb must have been oppressive in any summer heat; in India it must have been sauna-like. Coupled with the Vulgate's notice of the replacement and burning of armour, one wonders whether the replacement equipment was Asian manufactered rather than from Kleon's Athenian tannery?
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
Paul B. wrote:
Quote:the T-Y corselets seen on many Asians............If, as I believe for hoplites the aspis rim rested on against the front, left shoulder and chest, then a broad, stiff flap like the Yoke would distribute the force quite nicely. Moreso if it were made of hardened leather.

Not sure of the connection here? As you say, the vase figure depicts an Asiatic in quilted T-and-Y, not a Hoplite.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:Not sure of the connection here? As you say, the vase figure depicts an Asiatic in quilted T-and-Y, not a Hoplite.....

There are other early images of asiatics in what appears to be quilting with no yoke, but a simple jacket or vest as would seem to be the simplest and most common way to make armor of quilted fabric. I think it possible that the robust yoke, as opposed to the more narrow shoulder straps sometimes seen, ultimately derive from hoplite armor or some group like the Carians who may have fought in a similar manner.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Quote:One wonders whether he continued to wear it: it might well have been lighter and more comfortable that the Greek (leather or whatever) versions.
No. By the time he gets to India he is back in metallic armour since we are told an arrow punched through it when he climbed over the wall of a besieged town.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:
Paralus:27dao7k2 Wrote:One wonders whether he continued to wear it: it might well have been lighter and more comfortable that the Greek (leather or whatever) versions.
No. By the time he gets to India he is back in metallic armour since we are told an arrow punched through it when he climbed over the wall of a besieged town.

We are told Alexander is back in metallic armor??? This never happens. In fact, nothing is ever mentioned that Alexander ever wore "metallic" armor. I would recommend reading Arrian, Diodorus, Curtius, Plutarch and Justin for starters.
Scott B.
Quote: By the time he gets to India he is back in metallic armour since we are told an arrow punched through it when he climbed over the wall of a besieged town.

Back in metallic armour? I'll have a read of the sources in the morning but, meantime, I'd be interested in the literary sources that unequivocally tell us Alexander "normally" wore metallic armour. The source material that clearly tells us he was "back in" metallic armour at the Mallian town would be interesting too.
Paralus|Michael Park

Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους

Wicked men, you are sinning against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander!

Academia.edu
One need look no futher than Arrian [6.9]
"No Indian ventured to approach Alexander as he stood on the the fortress wall; but he was the target of every marksman in the neighbouring towers; men in the town shot at him too - and from no great distance either... That it was indeed Alexander who stood there was plain to all; his almost legendary courage no less than his shining armour proclaimed him."

I've never seen a single author describe leather or linen armour as "shining"
Hey, a bit of boot polish and who knows..... :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
What about his visit to the Temple of Athena at Troy? We don't know what kind of armour he left as sacrifice but he took in its place weapons and armour that were allegedly left over from the Trojan War. I doubt that leather or linen would have survived anywhere near that long in a condition suitable for battle.
I tend to agree with Dan.
I seem to recall the decription you gave, from somewhere.
I have not kept up my Greek readings in the last few years though.
I would not doubt Alexander wore both metal and organic type armor, but as you say, if there were any remains of linen or leather armour in the temple at troy, I doubt they would be in any state for further use. Maybe for a momento, but I recall it saying he took them for use.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:I doubt they would be in any state for further use. Maybe for a momento, but I recall it saying he took them for use.

At the very least he still had the Trojan shield with him when he attacked the Mallian town. Arrian said that Peucestas held it over Alexander after he was shot to protect him from further injury.
Compare the armour of Philippus to iconography.... the chance Alexander' s armour was made of IRON is about 1000 %

[Image: Vergina001.jpg]

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Well at Gaugamela, Plutarch said that he wore linen armour, which was part of some Persian loot. We aren't sure what he wore before, or for how long he wore the linen armour afterwards.
Anyone thought of the idea that he may have changed his armour due to weather conditions ?

Wink

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I have been thinking about construction techniques of the linothorax and I pose an idea. Fire at will.

Outer layer of leather, tube and yoke or lamellar ( rawhide possibly )
Then multiple layers of linen on the inside glued together
Finally leather and linen quilted together to prevent material from slipping

If this is completely wrong I understand but I would like to make this myself as I believe this would be very resilient armor.
Also, what was the original Greek term for linothorax. My friend and I have a very good supply of cowhides from a local butcher so something will happen very soon.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb