Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Varus disaster diorama by Kevin Townsend
To RAT:

Greetings to all. My name is Kevin Townsend. While I have only just now joined your site, I have been "lurking" for a couple years. I just wanted to drop in and say thanks for all the research help you have - unknowingly - provided on a large project I have been working on for the last three years.
The project was a diorama and accompanying book about the Varus disaster in the Teutoburg Forest. Using all 18 of Time Machine Miniatures kits, as well as numerous extra figures and parts provided by Jim Corless of Time Machine, I created a rather large diorama of a portion of the battle containing about 97 figures, horses, mules, wagons, etc. The book aims to tell the story of the battle using photos of the diorama.
While I have studied - and taught - history most of my life, my focus on the ancient world was never large. Your site proved invaluable in directing me to reference material and your discussions provided interesting insight and food for thought. If anyone is interested, the book is available for free download on Time Machine Miniatures website. Hopefully, I don't violate any of your posting rules by providing the link - it can be found here:

[url:35a6dlck]http://www.timemachineminiatures.com/pdf/TeutoburgerWaldBooklet.pdf[/url]

Your site has also helped with a few smaller projects done during and since the work on the big diorama. Thanks again for all your assistance. I will continue to use this site as a primary research tool.

Kevin Townsend
New Jersey
Kevin
Although I am personally increasingly convinced that the Teutoburg Forest disaster was less decisive than the Claudian Army Reforms, it is easy to admit that this diorama is -in one word- splendid. I enjoyed it very much.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Indeed a wonderful diorama. As I'm into modelling also, I know what an effort goes into such a piece. Well done! And a very nice booklet to go with it, also.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wow, that is a great piece of work. Excellent job.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Thanks for the kind words. I'm always open to feedback (both positive and negative) on the diorama and the booklet.

Originally, when the diorama was started back in 2007, Jim Corless (of Time Machine Miniatures) and I contacted Tony Clunn (Jim already knew him) and Tony presented the concept to the museum at Kalkriese. They were interested, however that interest waned when I informed them that there was no way the project could be complete by the end of 2008 - I didn't even have the final figures from Jim until October of 2009! Tony has been provided a copy of the book, and his initial impressions were positive. Jim and I are awaiting further feedback.

Kevin
Kevin
Kevin, this is a true work of art and i think you should publish it in Military Modelling.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Wow!

It is obvious you put a lot of work into this project. My modeling skills and not up to this level, but I can well appreciate the time and energy required for such stellar results. Thanks for the link. Smile

On another note ... :?

Jona, you made an interesting statement concerning the place of the Varian Disaster in the flow of Roman history. Have you written an essay expanding on this idea, or are you planing to do so? Sounds provocative.

:|

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Kevin, my congratulations on a real work of art. I hope the public gets to see the diorama at shows from time to time! It's amazing. Well done. :!:
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
Excellent work. Reminds me of the little Airfix Romans that I had as a child (except these have been done properly.)

I have a couple of books on Teutoburger wald, great interest. Seems Publius Quinctillius Varus has had a bit of a bad press over this... Personally I believe that the German forces used the superior knowledge of the area etc to manoeuvre the Roman forces to their own advantage. I think of the Germans as being more like the french resistance than traitors to Rome.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Smile

Andy Drinkell AKA Alsinstructor
andy drinkell AKA alsinstructor

I wandered lonely as a cloud....... Billy No-Mates
Kevin,
A true work of art. Kudos to you, especially for documenting and providing the how-tos. It gets me motivated to work on my modeling projects. Please don't fault me for nit-picking your work, that's not my intent but....there's one thing I noticed during my research on Roman transportation. On mule and ox carts, two or four wheeled, using a neck yoke harness system the temonis jugalis or yoke pole tends remain more paralell to the ground and then turn upwards in about the last 1/3 to 1/4 of it's length rather than bending upwards as it clears the cart bed. On chariots the pole appears to have bent immediately upwards then back paralell to the ground for the rest of its length. Presumably this was to allow the animals hooves and haunches to clear the pole on tight turns. It was not necessary on slower moving vehicles. The only reason I notice this issue is because it's one of the things I still need to correct on my 1/1 scale model. My yoke pole is straight since I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to properly form and bend a more accurate one. It's an issue only a RAT geek like me would care about, and in no way detracts from your stellar work.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:Excellent work. Reminds me of the little Airfix Romans that I had as a child (except these have been done properly.)

I have a couple of books on Teutoburger wald, great interest. Seems Publius Quinctillius Varus has had a bit of a bad press over this... Personally I believe that the German forces used the superior knowledge of the area etc to manoeuvre the Roman forces to their own advantage. I think of the Germans as being more like the french resistance than traitors to Rome.

Anyway, keep up the good work. Smile

Andy Drinkell AKA Alsinstructor

Ha! I always loved the little Airfix figures myself - and even the big ones. I still have several of their 54mm figures, and, even though they fall short by today's standards, they make great platforms for conversions.

The Time Machine kits are good kits - they are not accurate in every way, but they do have a more of less correct look. They are also very easy to work with, lend themselves to dioramas, and are quite cost effective.

Seems like your take on Varus and the Germanic resistance is very similar to mine. I don't picture real large numbers involved in the "revolt" - at least not until it started proving successful and the prospect of booty increased... As for books on the Teutoburger - I think Murdoch's is about the best.
Quote:Kevin,
A true work of art. Kudos to you, especially for documenting and providing the how-tos. It gets me motivated to work on my modeling projects. Please don't fault me for nit-picking your work, that's not my intent but....there's one thing I noticed during my research on Roman transportation. On mule and ox carts, two or four wheeled, using a neck yoke harness system the temonis jugalis or yoke pole tends remain more paralell to the ground and then turn upwards in about the last 1/3 to 1/4 of it's length rather than bending upwards as it clears the cart bed. On chariots the pole appears to have bent immediately upwards then back paralell to the ground for the rest of its length. Presumably this was to allow the animals hooves and haunches to clear the pole on tight turns. It was not necessary on slower moving vehicles. The only reason I notice this issue is because it's one of the things I still need to correct on my 1/1 scale model. My yoke pole is straight since I haven't gotten around to figuring out how to properly form and bend a more accurate one. It's an issue only a RAT geek like me would care about, and in no way detracts from your stellar work.

No worries - nit pick away, I have a very thick skin. As mentioned above, the Time Machine pieces, while very nice, fit into a niche between the toy soldier and the collector quality miniature. The kits were largely built stock from the box. I know the harness system on the oxen comes from a very good online article about Roman Traction Systems (I believe that is the title although the author's name slips my feeble mind at the moment). The wagon, however, is an off-the-shelf piece by Armand Bayardi. I used it as is without extensive research - I imagine you are probably quite correct. Due to the size and scope of the project, you can find some other shortcuts as well where we aimed for a general appearance. An example would be the packs on the mules. Not surprisingly for this period, research yielded more than one answer... Which is right? Quite possible several or all - I'm sure such things weren't standardized across such a large empire. Still, ours is sort of a blend that aimed for the right look even if the flavor is a bit off (kind of like diet soda).

On an unrelated note, Tony Clunn did get back with Jim Corless (Time Machine) about the diorama, and it seems the museum has no interest after all. Tony is quite a fan, but doesn't seem to have quite the same relationship with the museum he had in times past. Currently, it seems as if the Hermann Society folks up in New Ulm may be interested. I would be quite content if the model could find a home where it could be viewed by the public instead of residing in a (large) box in my (small) backroom. Of course the booklet remains available as a free download.
Kevin
Quote:On an unrelated note, Tony Clunn did get back with Jim Corless (Time Machine) about the diorama, and it seems the museum has no interest after all. Tony is quite a fan, but doesn't seem to have quite the same relationship with the museum he had in times past. Currently, it seems as if the Hermann Society folks up in New Ulm may be interested. I would be quite content if the model could find a home where it could be viewed by the public instead of residing in a (large) box in my (small) backroom. Of course the booklet remains available as a free download.

Perhaps the folks at Higgins Armory up here in Worcester MA would be interested in displaying it. They have one of the largest collections of arms and armor in the western hemisphere. I know they currently have a smaller scale diorama of Burgundian Pikemen on view. Its a shame not to have it out where the public can enjoy and learn from it. We (LEG III CYRENAICA) are doing one of our monthly Roman demos there tomorrow. If you'd like I will ask the curatrorial staff.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Simply brilliant!
Quote:Perhaps the folks at Higgins Armory up here in Worcester MA would be interested in displaying it. They have one of the largest collections of arms and armor in the western hemisphere. I know they currently have a smaller scale diorama of Burgundian Pikemen on view. Its a shame not to have it out where the public can enjoy and learn from it. We (LEG III CYRENAICA) are doing one of our monthly Roman demos there tomorrow. If you'd like I will ask the curatrorial staff.

Thanks for the offer. It is going with me to the annual MFCA show at Valley Forge in early May. I have been invited out to New Ulm for an event in July - hopefully by then I will know if they want to acquire it or not. If not, it will go with me to the Washington Show in early September. So it has a potentially busy schedule through the summer. After than, if I still have it, and they wish to display it, that would be fine with me. Feel free to ask away.

While on the subject, if anyone who has an event, lecture, meeting etc. that is a relatively easy drive from central New Jersey and would like to use the diorama as a teaching aid or just a display, by all means contact me, and if I can work it out schedule wise, I would be happy to oblige. Worcester MA isn't toooo awfully far away.
Kevin
Great work, Kevin. I'd love to see this IRL.
--- Marcus F. ---

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Photo Just a diorama: Manduessedum - CAUTION: large pictures !!! Uwe Bahr 11 5,479 01-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Uwe Bahr
  Punic architecture in historical diorama Cleaver 0 2,540 11-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Last Post: Cleaver
  small diorama of a Roman port Jeroen Pelgrom 7 2,878 07-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis