Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Celtiberian War Trumpets
I'm looking for more images and imformation on this type of ceramic trumpet. I want to make one for fun even though it does nothing for my reenactment. Is anyone familiar with these? A cross section at the mouthpiece would be helpful, though I can almost imagine what it's shaped like. Any help is greatly appreciated!

[attachment=0:280wt065]<!-- ia0 wartrumpets.jpg<!-- ia0 [/attachment:280wt065]

Thanks,
Jeff
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
I can’t see the picture, but I suppose you're meaning this:

[Image: th_02403_Numancia1_122_165lo.jpg][Image: th_02404_numancia_ceramica_trompetas_122_517lo.jpg][Image: th_02421_trompas01_122_376lo.jpg]
[Image: th_02434_trompas02_122_373lo.jpg][Image: th_02445_trompas03_122_47lo.jpg]

All the trumpets are from Numancia (Garray, Soria). If you need any translation...
«‘Tis just a scratch.»
«A scratch? Your arm’s off.»
Those are made with baked clay, if I'm not mistaken. That won't be easy to make, especially if you want to get a sound out of it.

Btw: yeyo, would you also happen to know of any findings from Portugal/ the Lusitanii. I'm looking for such for a long time, but have not be able to find it.
Bellerophon/Gert

Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
-Calgacus/Tacitus
In what kind of finds are you interested?

If you mean weapons, there aren’t a lot of archaeological finds of the Iron Age in Portugal. As most of this items are found in necropolis, it is supposed that this fact is related with the funeral rituals of the area, as well as happens in Gallaecia.

Acording to Strabo, the typical Lusitanian warrior was a skirmisher armed with a small circular shield called caetra, a dagger and a lot of javelins. In the Caesar’s comentaries of the Ilerda’s Battle the lusitanian mercenaries were “caetrati” and, in general, all the clasical texts agrees in this point.

The pre-roman Lusitania was in modern Portugal between the Duero and Tajo rivers. Between the 4th and 3th centuries B.C., the most common sword of this area seems to be the atrophied antennae of “Alcacer do Sal” type (Fernando Quesada’s type IV). There are some examples of falcatas, all of them in the south of the Tajo, but the falcata seems to be a weapon more typical from the southwest of the Iberian Peninsula.

In the occidental part of the northen meseta, in the territory of the vettoni, there are a great deal os necropolis with weapons (La Osera, Las Cogotas, etc.). So maybe we can use it as a reference for the lusitani.

In the south of Gallaecia there are a lot of scultures of warriors that could be a good reference...
«‘Tis just a scratch.»
Oh no I meant lusitanian wartrumpets. I've seen Iberian and celtiberian ones but I can't seem to find a lusitanian, if there's even one.
Bellerophon/Gert

Auferre, trucidare, rapere, falsis nominibus imperium; atque, ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant.
-Calgacus/Tacitus
I'm afraid I don't know any example of lusitanian clay trumpet. And I say "clay" and not "war trumpet", because some scholars, like Fernando Quesada, thinks these instruments weren't used at war...
«‘Tis just a scratch.»
Thanks so much Yeyo! Those drawing will be perfect. I can make things in ceramic easily enough, and the will help especially with getting the mouthpiece right. I'll post pics in a few months after they are finally done. If I can make a recording of the sound, I'll post that as well. This will be a fun project. Thanks again!
Lugorix

aka:  Jeffrey Adam Scharp
Interesting head, resembles some draco banner head reconstructions I've seen. I read on a Celtic site that in the Roman invasion Celts already fought with dragon banners, wonder if they confused them with one of these?
Nicholas
Quote:I read on a Celtic site that in the Roman invasion Celts already fought with dragon banners, wonder if they confused them with one of these?
I wonder especially where that website found it's information... :|
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
You know, I'd like to know that too.... :|
Nicholas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recreating a Celtiberian Noble III century BC Gundwulf 3 1,587 05-02-2013, 04:15 PM
Last Post: Caturix
  Celtiberian swords Jesper D 35 16,889 11-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Gobae
  War and Society in the Celtiberian World TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS 0 1,698 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS