Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tekije buckle 1st century AD
Greetings,

Does someone have pictures or more information on the 1st century belt buckle from Tekije that is pictured in Bishop's and Coulston's Roman Military Equipment?

It's Nr. 11 on this tafel: [Image: cingulum-1st-mcb.gif]

Best regards,
Jef
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
hello jef

I have a book on this subject, give me your adress via PM . The book is in serbo-croatian language, but a french translation is given. Photos, dimensions and text are present, but the author's interpretation of this finding was false ( this book was published in 1957, so....)
Alexandre Colot / aelius colus Strabo / Leg VIII Augusta / France
website : <a class="postlink" href="http://www.leg8.com/index.php">http://www.leg8.com/index.php
forum : <a class="postlink" href="http://www.leg8.org/portal.php">http://www.leg8.org/portal.php
Thanks to Alexandre here is a picture of the buckle:

[Image: Tekijebuckle.jpg]

Is it my imagination or does it look like this buckle has enamel cups like seens on pugiones and helmets?

Source:
Mano-Zisi D, Nalaz iz Tekije= les trouvailles de Tekiya, Narodni Muzej Beograd , Antika II ( Musée national de Belgrade, Antiquité II) , 1957
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Something like that anyway. Spotted them too, one missing in the lower part of the buckle.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Probably... The central rivet of the plate (not the buckle itself) have a cup shaped depresion. In adition, as i remember, the plates and the buckle are made in silver, not copper alloy.
The finds report mentions that the buckle is silver and that the beltplates are of a cupric alloy, covered with thin silversheath.

This is the first and only example I know of 1st century belt fittings that seem to have enamel cups...
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
A better pic:

[Image: cingvla_fibulacingulae_pelta10.jpg]
And the pugio suspension discs ( so called frogs)

[Image: cingvla_fibulacingulae11.jpg]

Both images are extracted from www.roma-victrix.com
Great pictures, thanks a lot Cesar!
Fantastic, than you very much!!! Big Grin
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
You are welcome...

As far as i remember, there are 2 complet belt sets, including the lunullae terminals, belt plates, pugio frogs, etc... A good choice for a belt project, for those who want to reproduce an existing set.
Jef.

I get the impression that this Silver buckle may have been cast however not having seen any paperwork about it, are the cups simply silver discs that have been applied and do not have any inlay in them.

I can see how they have been fitted where the metalwork of the buckle curls around into a tight scoll and the cups are fitted with rivets going thro' the scolls, hence the reason one of the cups is missing where the rivet has come out.
Brian Stobbs
Quote:A better pic:

[Image: cingvla_fibulacingulae_pelta10.jpg]

That would so go with my silver 'Varus' belt by Erik Konig.... :o )
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
The central rivets on these belt plates look enamelled too (picture from Roma-Victrix website)?
Sulla Felix

AKA Barry Coomber

COH I BATAVORVM MCRPF
Dear Sulla;

The picture you have posted shows other belt, founded in Rheingonheim (or something similar, probably bad spelling).

Dear Gaius Julius:
The Tejike hoard is from flavian or late first century datation, so i think don't match with an augustean impression.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Century BC bronze lost wax belt buckle MDF 15 4,590 09-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Last Post: MDF
  Catterick buckle 4th-5th century AD le Cavalier Invisible 4 2,009 03-17-2010, 06:38 PM
Last Post: le Cavalier Invisible
  3rd Century Roman Ivory Ring-Buckle Belt Reconstruction caiusbeerquitius 41 12,706 06-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Last Post: Caballo