Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Falcata, saunion and falarica...
Ach so! I've seen the novel, although I didn't realize it was written by a forum member! Congrats for the translation, although -I hasten to add- I tend to read novels in the original language... if that language is English or Spanish, that is! Big Grin
It's going off topic now, as The Forgotten Legion has no such weapons in it :lol: but if you read it, in English or otherwise, I hope you enjoy it!
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
None of this easy but you do have to, first of all, get the gender right, as others have pointed out, followed by the declension.
Declensions are rather tough

The Soldier (nominative) carries the spear (accusative) into the City (use accusative ending) because, in the City (locative) spears of bad men (genitive) had caused deaths by spears (ablative).
EG: Miles hast(am) portat in Civitat(em).

Many of the endings differ from feminine to Neuter etc and also for singular and plural.

The syncretion dictates that adjectives will carry a matching ending. bellus longus ..Long war..bellos longos..long wars
These are general rules and it is easier to learn the ones for Old Latin first because it is later "kidnapping" oF Greek words and technology that enlarges the language and cause all sorts of add ons and rules.,

The Roman, especially Frankish, Church, for all it'#s virtues , massacred Latin useage and it doesnt help. Caesar's Gallic Wars if you can get a copy, are in excellent Latin of the middle period and a good model to copy.

I hope it helps a bit. Cant always remember all this that well.

Rodi
Roderic Wout..

Today\'s truths are often tomorrow\'s lies
Apologies...Just realised I used the word civitas which is not a city it is a citizen..Going senile.

To correct...I will use Urbs..a city/town (not a city state).

It works.... Londinium urbs est,,,Nominative,

To the city is ad Urbem
into the city is In urbem
both accusative endings.

Of the city is Urbis

In (side) the City is in urbe

You ll get the drift. One just has to sit down and do the donkey or learning and remembering. I think Polish is the only other European language with this complexity of endings.
Rodi
Roderic Wout..

Today\'s truths are often tomorrow\'s lies