Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new book by Ars Dimicandi
Salvete.
was published the new treaty on the world of gladiators and gladiatura. By ArsDimicandi - Authors: Dario Battaglia and Luca Ventura.
Here the link. http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_00003c.htm
[Image: ad_1_i0001a6.jpg]
Hyrpus
Vincenzo Pastorelli
www.hephestus.net
www.arsdimicandi.net
sounds very interesting. Can you tell something more about the content? My Italian isn't that good, but I found some of the previous books very usefull, partially due to the good drawings. Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Looks like a great book. I think it will make a lot of ripples in the pool of knowledge, even if only because it is derived from so much "feet in the sand" experimentation. Good work!

I've enjoyed watching many of the short videos on youtube. I'm sure the book will have a market all over Europe, not just in Italy. Fewer people in the US read Italian, though, so an English version might do better here, though it's an expensive project to make a new edition....
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Dario told me a German translation is planned for later this year Big Grin At least I'm looking forward to this.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Now this is great news.
Hope its ready in time for the "Brot und Spiele" in Trier/Augusta Treverorum.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
http://www.arsdimicandi.net/ad_1_000045.htm

Here few small summaries from the book De Rebus Gladiatoriis - Ars Dimicandi
For those interested

Valete
Velite
Rita Lotti
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.arsdimicandi.net">www.arsdimicandi.net
I ordered the book 2 days ago and i'm looking very forward to at least looking at all the pictures and whatever words that closely resemble english words. I cannot read italian. I'll give a report later at this website concerning this book, after I look at it.
Michael
Still waiting and hoping for the German translation. There is a good review on it in the current Ancient warfare.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany
I strongly believe that this book will be excellant because the table of contents (that can be seen at the website) is very much detailed and complex, which hints that the book will be excellant.
Michael
I received the soft-covered book De Rebus Gladiatoriis by authors Battaglia-Ventura in the mail, and now I would like to give a PICTURE review of the book here ... I cannot read italian, thus I cannot give a review of the text in this book. I'll start off by saying that I wouldn't recommend this book to the new people who are just beginning to learn about gladiators because the author was not able to produce photos of the basic armor & common helmets. This is because he either didn't receive permission from the copyright owners or he didn't want to pay a fee to the copyright owners. So, instead, the author draws his own rough sketches of the above items. Personally, this is ok by me because i already seen the photos of the above items in other books such as Junkelmann's "Das Spiel mit dem Tod". The author does produce small black & white re-enactment photos of fights that show glimpses of certain parts on some of the helmets. Here however, you don't get an excellant look at whole helmets with the visors ... you only see parts of these. Anyway, amongst these small photos, there is a galli (gallus)-category gladiator helmet with a visor that i never saw before and this is NOT to be confused with the provocator helmets. Also, there is a secutor gladiator wearing a special-looking myrmillo helmet whereas all of the brim runs from top to bottom at a 45 degree angle. Finally amongst the photos, is a slightly varied-from-the norm myrmillo helmet worn by a hoplomachus-gladiator fighting a dimachaereus-gladiator. Believe it or not, the best photo that shows the whole helmet is the photo that appears on the cover of the book which is the only color photo in the whole book. Overall, you're better off looking at all the color photos that the internet has to offer on helmets such as the ones appearing in re-enactment photos ... the previously-mentioned helmets can all be seen in re-enactment photos shown at flickr.com ///////////////////// The Battaglia-Ventura chart on the evolution of gladiator/military helmets is partly different from Junklemann's chart on the evolution of gladiator/military helmets ... however, I feel that the Battaglia-Ventura chart is slightly inaccurate because it says that the earlier greek helmets were the root-beginnings of the gallic helmet while Junklemann's chart points to a celtic influence that gave rise to the gallic helmet. In the same respect, it says that there was a Beotico (Bootische)& Thyreomachus (both greek)root-beginning for the provocator helmet while Junklemann's chart instead points to a celtic influence for it. I personally agree with Junklemann's version of this. /////////////////// Additionally, for each of the individual categories of gladiators, he gives an individual evolution starting with the earliest stages, transitioning all the way through to the final stage just before the gladiatorial games were finally terminated > I considered this to be important information in trying to understand how the romans derived their ideas in order to: advance the costume of different gladiators; and cause the contests to be complex by pairing-off certain types of gladiators against one another ... here again, he does this through his own rough sketch-artwork. I did not see this same type of evolution in junklemann's book. I diagramically-wrote up this evolutionary tree of gladiator types according to the "De Rebus Gladiatoriis" book and you can see it if you click the attachment at the bottom. ///////////// The best feature of the Battaglia-Ventura book is a 5 page reconstruction of different gladiators. Here, these are not just rough sketches like mentioned earlier in the other facets of his book. Instead, these are excellant professional drawings that are very appealing. The helmets in the reconstructions all appear in junklemann's (2000 edition) book and other books but there are 2 provocator helmets that I never saw before ... I hear now that this type helmet does appear in Junklemann's (2008 edition) book. Both helmets are very similar to one another except that one of the helmets has lines on it and the other one doesn't. I'll attach my own drawing of the helmet with the lines on it, so that everyone can see the only unusual helmet that appears in Battaglia-Ventura book. The author says that this helmet is now housed in the Milas Museum, in Turkey. Overall, besides the differences discussed in the above, this book covers the same things as the other gladiator books such as "Das Speil mit dem Tod". Picture-wise, I'm only fairly-impressed with this book ... but evolution-wise, i was very impressed. ////////////////////// The book is expensive in cost and in shipping and the authors want the money wired to them which is very expensive because they don't take credit cards.
[attachment=1089]provocatorhelmetfromEuprepesmuseodiMilasinTurchia.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael
The helmet which you sketched, Michael, is drawn in the Battaglia book according to a stele found in Mylasa, Turkey. It shows a provocator named Euprepes shown in the basic stance and dates to the 2nd/3rd century. Today this stele is shown in at the Milas Museum in Milas, Turkey. A good photo of this stele is shown in the Junkelmann book, edition of 2008 on page 185.
Hiiii Medusa, you seem so nice, thankyou for correcting minor parts of my information to the public here. As you can see, i don't understand italian well (as in the De Rebus Gladiatoriis book) nor german well (as in the Das speil mit dem Tod book). I'll correct my above text to reflect your corrections. I have the Junkelmann book but its only the 2000 edition, so that's why i never saw a picture of this type provocator helmet before receiving the De Rebus Gladiatoriis book. I'll keep my drawing posted here since i'm sure many other people only have the 2000 edition besides not acquiring the Battaglia-Ventura book yet since it's still relatively brand new (2010).
Michael
Here's a scan of pic. 320, page 185 of the new edition of the Junkelmann book showing the stele of Euprepes:

[attachment=1157]junkelmann_abb320.JPG[/attachment]

The caption reads as follows:

Quote:Pic. 320 Grave stele of the provocator Euprepes from Mylasa (Turkey). The gladiator stands in the basic stance. Between his legs are shown long straps dangling down from the back of his belt, which seemed to be a regional specialty of the provacatores in parts of the Province Asia. The calotte of the helmet has a profiling resembling of locks of hair. Left from the head are three victory crowns, on the right side bar 10 further victory crowns. 2nd/3rd century AD. Milas, Milas Museum, according to GROSSSCHMIDT/KANZ (ed.) 2002, 81

I checked now also the exhibition catalog of the gladiator exhibition "Gladiatoren in Ephesos - Tod am Nachmittag" in Selcuk to which Junkelmann refers in his caption. Concerning the helmet they write:

Quote:...His helmet with a broad brim reaches down to his shoulders and has a rectangular visor; several chamfers present a part of decoration in hammered-sheet...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Medusa, that picture you show is marvelous. Once again, you're so informative to this website which means that you're a big credit to this website and I appreciate your effort (smiles to you).
Michael

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New book by Dario Battaglia / Ars Dimicandi Olaf 0 1,551 08-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Olaf