Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for the latin buffs
It has been some time since been into this forum but need some help with from the latin speakers Big Grin ( lol: :lol: :lol: .I do know there will be no direct translation but as close as poss please. (GRUMPPY OLD FART) Big Grin sorry for the saying but this is what I have been surgested as my motto and I like it.
Arrowmaker
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk">www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
Trader and maker of traditional archery products am looking to expand my knowledge.
Fred
It depends on exactly what you're trying to convey.

If you want something along the lines of "stinking old guy who's rude and prone to crude jokes" you might try Senex Sordidus.

If you're thinking more along the lines of "quick-tempered old man who'll cut you a new one if your cross him" you might try Senex Asper.

If what you really mean is "old guy who lounges around making smart comments at the expense of others" you might try Sannio Senex.

Best of luck. Smile
David J. Lohnes
Upper School English and Latin
Southside Christian School
Officium nos vocat!
Quote:It depends on exactly what you're trying to convey.

If you want something along the lines of "stinking old guy who's rude and prone to crude jokes" you might try Senex Sordidus.

If you're thinking more along the lines of "quick-tempered old man who'll cut you a new one if your cross him" you might try Senex Asper.

If what you really mean is "old guy who lounges around making smart comments at the expense of others" you might try Sannio Senex.

Best of luck. Smile

THANK YOU my friend I shall put these to the person who posed the question and see what answers I get before I deside.
Fred
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk">www.jft-traditional-archery.co.uk
Trader and maker of traditional archery products am looking to expand my knowledge.
Fred
If I may continue this, I need a translation of a sign like 'gone off for lunch', 'back in a minute' or 'gone fishing' or something like that.

I work for the county and they removed our beautiful memorial stone to one of the museums in Utrecht. I want to draw attention to the fact that it's gone - there's still a spotlight illuminating the empty spot!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:If I may continue this, I need a translation of a sign like 'gone off for lunch', 'back in a minute' or 'gone fishing' or something like that.

I work for the county and they removed our beautiful memorial stone to one of the museums in Utrecht. I want to draw attention to the fact that it's gone - there's still a spotlight illuminating the empty spot!

Someone else failed latin Big Grin D D
Fred(arrowmaker)
FRED TIBBETTS
E-MAIL [email protected]
Fred
It depends how historically authentic you want to be in your Latin usage.

A phrase like ad prandium ("gone to lunch") didn't work the same way in a culture that didn't have cubicles, refrigerators, or office buildings and factories staffed by a giant middle class.

The same is true of ad piscandum ("gone fishing"). In Rome, fishing was not thought of primarily as a leisure activity, so such a sign wouldn't carry the same whimsical sense. It would be like putting a "gone fishing" sign up in Gloucester, Massachusetts in 1875.

Still, if you simply want the modern expressions in Latin, those will work fine.

More culturally authentic is absum ("I'm away").

But I think perhaps in villa ("at the villa") or rus ii ("I've gone to the countryside") may be what you're really looking for.
David J. Lohnes
Upper School English and Latin
Southside Christian School
Officium nos vocat!
Thanks David!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
What about a phrase like "Gone Bathing" that was a leisure activity if I am not mistaken and would roughly be of a similar mode of joke. Though a sign in Gloucester of "Gone Fishing" is kind of dry and to my liking! :lol:
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb