Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Calling all armchair generals! Boudica's Last Stand.
Quote:I submit to the power of the "press". After all, they must be correct.......Smile
Indeed so, although placing the revolt in the 7th century must be the result of research that has passed me by.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
"As the 7th century Boudiccan Revolt against Roman rule tore its way through the east of the England, towns were burnt to the ground by Iceni rebels."

Ha ha! - I missed that bit. Yes, very ground-breaking. Turns history on its head, in fact. And 'the' England?... :grin:
Nathan Ross
they must be thinking of this one, there is a striking resemblance;
[attachment=10314]vikingqueen.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bikinis, totty, violence......next on my playlist from you tube....review of history on its way.
Kevin
Oh dear, oh dear......worth watching for the totty, nothing more.
Kevin
Kevin
Totty? You're calling Boudicca TOTTY?!

You can tell you're a Legio II Augusta man, Kevin Wink

I recently re-read Anya Seton's novel titled the Mistletoe and Sword concerning, you guessed it, Boudicca and the "ambush" of the IXth Legion.

Interestingly, well known in her day for good research although she fails to list the secondary sources she consuled, Seton places the final battle for Boudicca in Epping Forest.

Now, there's a thought...(although of course it would not have been known as Epping Forest in AD60-odd)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Seton places the final battle for Boudicca in Epping Forest.

Not such an entirely nutty suggestion - Paulinus could have moved around behind Boudica and co, to cut off their line of retreat.

Apparently Essex folklore has Ambresbury Banks hillfort in Epping Forest as the site of the battle - perhaps that was all Seton was going on?
Nathan Ross
Oh dear, oh dear......worth watching for the totty, nothing more

Steady on Mr Mills that Totty is old enough to be your Mum, but Ambresbury doesn't seem like too good an option from what i can see;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ambresbury_Banks

How many more of these folklore traditions are there? I thought we'd listed them all already.
Quote: [Apparently Essex folklore has Ambresbury Banks hillfort in Epping Forest as the site of the battle - perhaps that was all Seton was going on?

More than likely, but I doubt it would be moving to cut her off; from what?. We are assuming from the folklore that the Romans pursued Boudicca after her defeat. What if it is the original site of the battle and assumptions that Paulinus was going up Watling Street are wrong and he was going down it instead?

Perhaps Paulinus was hoping to meet up with the expected Second legion?

:evil:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:I doubt it would be moving to cut her off; from what?

One of my original pro-Dunstable suggestions was that the only thing Paulinus could know about the movements of Boudica's force is that, at some point, they would have to head back to their own land (this wasn't a tribal migration, and they needed to plant winter crops). Leaving them an avenue to do so - either back the way they'd come or up Watling Street to the Iknield Way - would risk the appearance that he had let them escape, which would have further damaged his reputation.

I did suggest that the route through Essex would have been stripped bare by the Britons in their advance from Colchester, making the Watling route more likely. But perhaps this was not so. By moving his small and mobile force south-east from St Albans (assuming that's where he pulled back to from London) and placing them somewhere around Epping, Paulinus could threaten their rear and block their route home. Meaning that they would have to turn back from whatever plundering they were doing along the Thames and fight him...

This is essentially the same theory as Grahame Appleby's one for his (nearby) Arbury Banks site, although he has the Britons using Iknield, iirc.
Nathan Ross
just checked it out on hte map, very lacking in decent topography and no option for a plain. Seton now below Webster in topo terms.....
Have you seen the version 2003 with Alex Kingston as Boudicca.........."top totty"
I don't care how inaccurate it is.....Smile
Kevin
Kevin
a bit like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poJXSZZ-bmE

an oft missed one is Lawless "lookin' this good" at 7:35 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUzr-ximPLc
Never mind this 40 plus pages of where and when, but who?
Alex Kingston gets my vote.
Kevin
Kevin
I am pleased that, at long last, this thread seems to have found it's level.
Moi Watson

Not quite sure what that means. Sounds a bit superior, Vindex Speculator!
I quite like the notion of the of SP 'luring' B and the Trinos back to the East.
And maybe one of us will manage to hit Page Quinquaginta
Davidus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Armchair Wall walking mcbishop 3 3,481 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Last Post: Vindex