Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Osprey title
There is a new Osprey title, part of the Campaign series, entitled "Adrianople AD 378" by Simon MacDowall. It arrived in the mail yesterday so I haven't had a chance to read it yet, though I have thumbed through it.<br>
<br>
Whatever you may think about Osprey titles, they are often very good sources for pictures of surviving artifacts and artistic representations. This title unfortunately has many photos of late Roman and Germanic equipment that have been used in earlier Osprey titles. However, there are some photos of Roman and Germanic helmets that I have never seen pictures of before, including both of those beautiful Berkasova helmets; a highly decorated ridge style helmet; an interesting earlier Imperial-type helmet that had been modified by a German warrior (I'm not sure if this is the same helmet referred to in Bishop/Coulston p. 171); a Gothic spangenhelm; and even a Sassanian spangenhelm in remarkable condition.<br>
<br>
There are more color photos here than in most osprey titles (though all the helmets are, sadly, in black-and-white). Of particular interest are some very nice photos of late mosaics, and some great color photos of eleven pages from the Notitia Dignitatum (three other pages are shown in B&W), which I think would be of interest to anyone curious about the color scheme of late Roman shield patterns.<br>
<br>
Until I've actually read the book I can't offer my opinion on McDowall's critique of the battle itself. However, if you are interested in helmets of the late Roman era, or have a particular jones for late Roman shield color schemes, you might seriously want to pick this up anyway.<br>
<br>
Gregg <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
The title had some good eye candy, though it also had some of the obligatory pictures reproduced for the zillionth time (the Stilicho diptych). Do post a full review when you have finished the book.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Sure thing. I'm going to Vegas for my vacation next week and I'm taking it along for a little pool-side reading, so I'll post a review when I get back.<br>
<br>
Gregg<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Osprey Title:Imperial Roman Naval Forces 31 BC - AD 500 Gaius Julius Caesar 3 2,173 12-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Caius Valens
  Next Osprey warrior title Robert Vermaat 45 8,675 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Future Osprey title: Macedonian Warrior Tarbicus 1 1,323 05-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus