Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Monetary Crisis Solved?
I am glad to announce that the Greek monetary crisis has been solved. Mr Papandreou will sell the Olympus and the Acropolis. It's in this Dutch newspaper (BabelFish), so it is true. "That Parthenon, since the 1687 explosion, it was a ruin anyhow". :wink:
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Not to mention his supposed plans to 'sell Cyprus to Turkey'.

All a joke, but still... Ouch!!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hahaha, good find Jona. Regarding Homer's royalties they want to start to charge retroactively, I wonder what an obol is worth in euros, and whether 3000-odd years of inflation outweighs the same period in cumulative interest. I think Papandreiou may have struck gold there! But if he's selling the Parthenon, where will they store their newly found talents?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:3000-odd years of inflation
One of the things that continues to amaze me: since good Croesus invented coinage, it's worth has consistently diminished.
Jona Lendering
My website
ROFL..... ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
[Image: US-Economy-Jump-R.jpg]
Quote:[Image: US-Economy-Jump-R.jpg]

Well, just goes to show these financial types arn't very bright! It's only taken them how many hundred years to figure that one out? :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
They should never have stopped praying to the old gods.....

M.VIB.M.

*well at least Europe is keeping its heels in the sand in this matter.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
I don't want to rub it in to our Greek friends, who have every right to be very angry at all preceding politicians, but I couldn't resist this one:
[Image: ?feature=2fee134629c1e847cd1fa01b3ade12cd]
Jona Lendering
My website
Big Grin Nice cartoon.

I just had a column published in a local newspaper, drawing some comparisons between Greek problems as part of the Roman Empire and problems as part of the EU.
Augustus Merkel
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Good for you, but we need to log in to see it. :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Sorry – I guess you need a subscription to see it. Anyway, in brief: I contrasted Greece as part of the Empire with Greece as part of the EU. I suggested Caesarean clemency (“How long will the glory of your ancestors save you from self-destruction?”) instead of Sulla’s burning cities. But Caesar was forgiving because of the past; we should be participating in the bail out for the future of the euro zone. Today the most powerful person in Europe is the one with the biggest bank account: “Augustus Merkel.” Will she be a Hadrian and pay attention to all of Europe’s parts or a Honorius and tell one part to see to its own defence? My point was that she needs to be a Hadrian.
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Quote:I suggested Caesarean clemency (“How long will the glory of your ancestors save you from self-destruction?”) instead of Sulla’s burning cities. But Caesar was forgiving because of the past; we should be participating in the bail out for the future of the euro zone.
I agree, there are many reasons to be charitable towards the Greeks. One of them: self-interest. Due to the Greek problems, the euro has diminished in value. EU exports have benefited; in many countries of the euro zone, the effects of the banking crisis have been mitigated. (I am more worried about Italy, actually.)
Jona Lendering
My website
In the meantime, tv shots show images similar to Iceland: angry people who claim that "it's not their fault so they should not be hurt by the effects". People who can retire at 57 and a 13th and 14th month salary each year...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Matt Davies always has great cartoons. Some of them are kinda Hudson Valley-centric though.