Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Ides -- A New Book by Dando-Collins
Stephen Dando-Collins has published another book on ancient Rome, this time he claims to "clear away the twaddle that surrounds Julius Caesar" and the fall of the Roman Republic.

The Ides: Caesar's Murder and the War for Rome (Hardcover)
~ Stephen Dando-Collins (Author)
3.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (3 customer reviews)
List Price: $25.95
Price: $17.13 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details
You Save: $8.82 (34%)
Hardcover: 288 pages
Publisher: Wiley (February 8, 2010)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0470425237
ISBN-13: 978-0470425237

If the Publisher's Weekly review is to be trusted then Dando-Collins clearly supports the thesis that Caesar was a tyrant and the Senatorial conspirators were true patriots acting on behalf of the people. However, "thanks to the scheming of Marc Antony and the fickleness of the crowds, Brutus, Cassius, and others were forced to flee the city."

Well...

Dando-Collins' reputation as a historian of ancient Rome proceeds him, and this book is unlikely to enhance it.

I hold to the view of Caesar and his assassination as put forth by Michael Parenti, though if that is too radical for some, I would think reading Goldsworthy's biography of Caesar to be a far better expenditure of one's time and energy.

Info on Dando-Collins' new book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/047042 ... d_i=507846

:?

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I'm sure people will buy this book, and probably argue over it, too.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Right, I once tolerated this mans writings, but to call GJC a tyrant is too much! Too much I say!
This is tantamont to violence! Confusedhock: To stab a man when he is down and unable to defend himself is beyond the pale!
There seems to be a trend in writers these days to knock the great man. Must be fashionable....... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dando-Collins, \'Legions of Rome\' Carus Andiae 16 9,369 10-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Last Post: LupercusArchanus
  New Book from Dando-Collins: Great Fire of Rome Narukami 25 7,512 08-12-2011, 04:44 AM
Last Post: rononmaximus
  New Book: Blood Of The Caesars by S Dando Collins Narukami 19 4,455 03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar