Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
March Invitation / Experimental Archaeology
Hi All!
As some of you already know, I am leading a project on experimental archaeology at Augsburg University. We are making a march from sept. 15th to sept. 29th 2010 along the Via Claudia Augusta, from Donauwörth to Füssen. During the march we will make educative visits to schools situated along the road, as well as undertake several archaeological experiments, most of them having to do with objects from the Augsburg-Oberhausen hoard and finds from the Auerberg, all this in cooperation with the University of Regensburg, E. Deschler-Erb (RAT: Helveticus Palatinae) from the University of Zurich, Robert Wimmers / noviolocus, the Roman Museum Augsburg, and, probably, the German Army. We will also have an exercise / preparation camp, either in the first or the second week of september.

So, any RATers who want to participate in the project, feel free to contact me. All you need is Augustan gear, not necessarily Roman, though, Germans and Celts are also welcome! The student group so far consists of equal numbers of Roman, Raetian and South-German impressions. Food will be provided by the schools, if there are more of you interested, it might be good if you have or organize a tent. Since the tents are not part of any archaeological / historical / experimental question, it is no problem if the tents are not from leather. ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
yeah, I would certainly like to join. My previous walk was a very nice experience. Unfortunately, I'm afraid my own studies doesn't allow for this Sad
ALA I BATAVORUM
If you want, you can join in for just a few days as well, Jurjen. Smile
Christian K.

Yeah, will check what is possible. Would love to join you guys Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
Whats the weather like during this time? You accepting foreign troops?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Absolutely! Would be happy to have you here. Weather: May be warm and sunny, may be cooler and humid... every year´s different... ^^
Christian K.

I will check my diary..lol I would love to do something like this too, even if I am getting long in the tooth, apparently.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Great! And don´t worry, the daily legs are not too long. Smile
Christian K.

Count me in!

I'll let you know nearer the time which dates I can do.
Tim Edwards
Leg II Avg (UK)
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiiavg.org.uk">http://www.legiiavg.org.uk
<a class="postlink" href="http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com">http://virtuallegionary.blogspot.com
That´s great! Welcome! Smile
Christian K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bronze smithing experimental archaeology richsc 0 911 09-25-2015, 11:28 AM
Last Post: richsc
  Re-enactment vs Experimental Archaeology Tim Edwards 9 2,705 02-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  What is Experimental Archaeology? caiusbeerquitius 35 6,197 03-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar