Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mons Graupius Legions
Well, the chasing would probably have been performed by the cavelry for the most part. I believe the auxilliaries were being seriously flanked by the Cale-cccccaaaatt-tooooie-donians, before Agricola sent in his cavelry.
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Well, the chasing would probably have been performed by the cavelry for the most part. I believe the auxilliaries were being seriously flanked by the Cale-cccccaaaatt-tooooie-donians, before Agricola sent in his cavelry.

very good point! I always over look cavalry, they are alwasy under estimated by legionaries! poor buggers!!
Lucius Duccius Rufinus Aka Kevin Rhynas.

"Fortes fortuna adiuvat".
[url:10c24pem]http://www.ninthlegion.co.uk[/url]
[size=75:10c24pem](work in progress...)[/size]
You might like this book: http://antoninuspius.blogspot.com
** Vincula/Lucy **
I have had it on order for a while, hopefully it is at home waiting for me as we type.... Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Out on July 10th.....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
My copy arrived today! Pics of all the RMRS Batavians, on page 36 and 79, me on page 63 (though they reckon I'm wielding a gladius and not my trusty Hod Hill spatha), Peronis and Verax on page 71 and lots more.
On seeing my picture, Mrs Caballo and my kids all burst out laughing. They tell me that I've got that expression on my face when I'm trying to look hard. I bet Agricola never had this problem.... :roll:

Anyway, its a very good addition and clearly a must buy.

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Quote:... me on page 63 (though they reckon I'm wielding a gladius and not my trusty Hod Hill spatha), ...
Oops -- I guess I should've checked. (It did seem to be a rather long "gladius". :oops: )
Quote:Anyway, its a very good addition and clearly a must buy.
I hope you still think that after you've read it!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Salvete Omnes!

Can't wait to get my copy. I've been away for some time now on a "foreign" assignment and haven't had any time to check the forum. Well done Duncan! Caballo, looking forward to seeing your scary face Smile

Valete,

Nerva.
MARCVS VLPIVS NERVA (aka Martin McAree)

www.romanarmy.ie

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Legionis XX Valeria Victrix Cohors VIII

[email protected]

[email protected]
I received my copy yesterday, from Amazon - they were out of stock almost immediately after publication, which suggests good sales I suppose! (Does anyone know what the print run for these Osprey books is?)

All good stuff, and a clear description of the campaign and battle - well done, Duncan. I was interested in the idea about the British using scythed chariots, so I've started a thread about that over on 'Allies and Enemies' - maybe a controversial view, I don't know Smile

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Quote:(Does anyone know what the print run for these Osprey books is?)
According to Osprey, my previous titles have all sold around 5,000 copies. I presume that this is the print-run.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Quote:I received my copy yesterday, from Amazon

The postie delivered my copy before 8am this morning - remarkably early for my postie! - and I've read it from cover to cover. It's an excellent book. I have submitted a very positive review to Amazon.co.uk.

Nathan, are you planning on submitting a review of the book to Amazon? It's disappointing that the only current customer review is a sneery and disingenuous effort.

[url:3jvltlfu]http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1846039266/ref=cm_rdp_product_img[/url]

Cheers,

R!
Quote:Nathan, are you planning on submitting a review of the book to Amazon? It's disappointing that the only current customer review is a sneery and disingenuous effort.

Yes, I've been meaning to for some time - thanks for the reminder! Oddly, there used to be two reviews on Amazon, the predictable sneery one and another more positive notice, but the latter has now vanished... perhaps the reviewer suffered some terrible tartan vengeance? Better watch your back, Mr Cowan! Smile

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Funny how this reviewer was quite happy to quote Roman sources (who he fails to name) who talk about vast Roman losses on the Severan campaign, but is totally unwilling to believe Roman sources about a single Roman battle recorded by Tacitus.....(Who's wife was obviously several hundred years old....?????) :? roll:

Must be a disgruntled Braveheart fan....?
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Oddly, there used to be two reviews on Amazon, the predictable sneery one and another more positive notice, but the latter has now vanished... perhaps the reviewer suffered some terrible tartan vengeance? Better watch your back, Mr Cowan! Smile

:lol: If my review disappears, send out the search parties... ;-) )

I look forward to reading your review.

Cheers,

R!
Quote:Funny how this reviewer was quite happy to quote Roman sources (who he fails to name) who talk about vast Roman losses on the Severan campaign, but is totally unwilling to believe Roman sources about a single Roman battle recorded by Tacitus.....(Who's wife was obviously several hundred years old....?????) :? roll:

Must be a disgruntled Braveheart fan....?

His review is bizarre. Perhaps he derived his Severus factoids from the recent Channel 4 docu? He clearly hasn't read Duncan's book.

Cheers,

R!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Site for Mons Graupius antiochus 14 3,824 06-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Mons Graupius Cavalry Question antiochus 27 4,639 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Last Post: antiochus
  Mons Graupius: close/open order deployment grainger 8 2,174 03-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Last Post: Macedon