Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
Quote:http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4760...d77c_b.jpg
Here it is. And this is half of the scene. It is from an etruscan tomb,showing the slaughter of 12 Troyan Princes as sucrifice by Achilles on the funerary pyre of Patroclos. it is invaliably accurate and detailed!
Achilles,who is the one i posted above, wears a typical etruscan tube and yoke, almost identical to the one the Mars of Todi wears. Interestingly, despite its detail,there are no fittings shown to secure the closure of the two parts. Notice the very carefully and in my belief accurately,it doesn't closed dead center but slightly to the left! This correscponds with other cuirasses shown on vases whick are scaled on one side,and the scales stop a bit farther than the center. To me this is another indication that the cuirass is double breasted.
Paul,i have also noticed the same thing,the artists is careful to show that the red decoration on the belly is jjust that,a decoration. The vertical red hem is of a different colour than the horizontal decoration and goes over it.
The other cuirass is more typical,but for some reason it also gives me the impression that is double breasted. But it's just my feeling,perhaps because the front part is attached to the side a bit more centered than i would expect.
Khairete
Giannis

EDIT: i must have been wrong,Achilles is most probably the one that is actually sloughtering them.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I wanted more of the close up shots like the one you originally posted. I have the whole image of the tomb but would desperately like some close ups.

Paul: surprisingly, out of the nearly 1,000 examples of warriors wearing this type of armor (your tube and yoke) on vase paintings, none of them are shown wearing a belt (like the one Alexander has on the Alexander mosaic). These belts only appear on Roman items and are pretty rare.
Scott B.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by rocktupac - 07-04-2010, 08:10 PM