Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
Quote:As mentioned Uratian bronze belts are very common, and were not worn over armour. These look very different to the ones shown in this thread.

They don't look anything like the tied-on belt in the image I showed, but they do look very much like the wide bronze belts found commonly in Italy. As I noted this may be simple convergence- how many ways are there to make a wide, bronze belt- but they may draw from a shared tradition.

Added to this is the probably direct contact of Etruscans with Uratian trade goods, as evinced by the Uratian and Asian goods found in Etruscan tombs. Then again with Etruscans there may have been direct historical contact as well given an Anatolian origin.

As I said though, the point is not that these are the same belts, putting a wide bronze belt over a bronze armor would be silly, but that the motiff may have had an ancient and common origin. In the Aenead, Turnus: “planted his foot on the lifeless Pallas and tore from him his heavy, massive sword-belt. Such was the trophy which Turnus rejoiced and gloried to have won” (Virgil X.492-498)". (from Burns "Visible Proofs of Valour: The Trophy in South Italic Iconography of the Fourth Century BC"). Thus a stylized belt was perhaps applied to armor.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by PMBardunias - 07-06-2010, 08:41 PM