Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
Quote:My problem with the belt theory on the Etruscan painting is the fact that the red line runs right through it and the cuirass, but under the ties on the chest.

As often happens we are largely in agreement and posting past eachother. I originally noted that the red line goes through the "belt" and it cannot have been a real belt but a design on the armor. I also showed that real belts existed in the context of arming. Tying them together I propose that the "belt" motiff was something that was seen on armors because of the earlier connection between belts and warriors. Taking it further, belts then reappeared as actual belts, not simply art applied to armor, as badges of rank.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by PMBardunias - 07-06-2010, 11:34 PM