Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Double breasted or center fastening?
Quote:I don't imagine you could simply cinch it like a pair of pants, but if it were ill-fitting the bottom tie might need some extra support in holding a too-tight corselet together, or if too loose, you could pull the bottom of the side-panel past where it normally fastens and hold it together at a smaller diameter. This is something that could be easily tested by Giannis, if he would be so kind.
Sure,i can test it,though i know already what the results will be: If you don't tie the usual side fittings and you want to fasten the quirass tighter with a belt between the side fittings(as we see the etruscan warrior doing and the first vase that you posted) the quirass might be secured,but it won't sit propperly. The front side won't fall down because the shoulder guards are holding it,but the side might fall,with intence moveent.
Even if the side is well secured, what simply won't sit right is the pteryges especially.
What i find more interesting idea though,is that the usual decoation around the waist and around the chest might occasionally have been belts! There HAS to be a belt around the waist,or at least it has to be fastened low near the pteryges. And of course,the next essential fastenning is under the arm as,if the other fastenning is low,the cuirass opens on the top.
I can speak so precisely before doing the actual test because i have just finished my spolas,and till the end i had to hold it on my body without fittings many a time, and check how it sits.

Italiote warior!
[Image: cavalier.jpg]
This explains perhaps the width of some of the Apulian bronze belts. Though fat people must have always existed!

And i also hear for the first time that "several" iron t&y have been found, if we're not speaking of iron scale!
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Double breasted or center fastening? - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 07-07-2010, 02:08 PM