Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite Greave Padding?
I found this online at this site:[url:16t91bbs]http://www.mlahanas.de/Greeks/war/Armor2.htm[/url]
I want to know if the item inside the red circle is some form of padding for the greaves. I notice the man is obviously naked except for this item and the other greave. Are there any finds that would explain such a thing besides padding?
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
It is clear that some times hoplites wore this kind of padding around the ankle. It appears both in many vases and in sculpture. Its exact form is not very clear. In the Aphaia temple sculptures this padding is visible in at least one soldier,but it is so stylized that no way of tieing it is visible,and the man is wearing his greaves,so little to see really. One of the most detailed depictions is in the vase of Achilles and Patroclos (i'm sure if you do a quick google search you'll find it). Achilles doesn't wear his greaves but he clearly still has the padding. Its form there is a bit awkward though.
One thing is sure though: The ancient greaves were so well fitting,that this form of padding had to be really modest. Never do we see something bulky. My suspicion is that it wasn't meant to carry any of the weight of the greave,just to prevent chaffing in that sensitive place.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
I thought so! I already have the pic of Achilles and Patroclus. As soon as I find it I will post it in this message. What is "Thank You" in Greek?
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

euxaristo (ef ha ree sto) = I thank you
euxaristoume (ef ha ree stoo may) = we thank you
For my migration period kit, I have a set of splint leg armour, when I run around alot in them they slip slightly down the leg, and the base of it rubs into the top of my foot where foot meets ankle. To prevent this I made a little woollen tie, that I tie round my ankle, this pads the ankle out and helps the leg armour to sit tighter, and also stops it from slipping down as it has no where to go.

I think this is something similar to what that vase is depicting.
Stuart
Did you come up with it yourself? Or did you see it somewhere and tried it? Either way Nice! That is the main reason I posted it. Snake Chaps (for rattlesnakes) have the same problem and I thought this would remedy it. They are plastic greaves more or less.
Craig Bellofatto

There's no evidence for it, nothing pictorial, nothing archaeological (apart from the metal greaves themselves) it was a problem I encountered and found a solution to it, I assume our ancestors were equally, if not more so ingenious, especially when you're on campaign and something is rattling/uncomfortable/broken you find a solution for it.
Stuart
Around my part of the world the term is "Git 'er Done". It seems to be more popular to people from cities though. I agree that ingenuity was key in solving problems. I try to practice this as often as possible myself!!! 8)
Craig Bellofatto

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,814 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite