Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
auxilliary outfit
(Pray exuse me if my english isn´t 100%, being non-american, english etc.)

Might be out on a limb here but I couldn´t find anything directly fitting during my search.
I´m quite new to roman-era reenactment (former 1300-century and viking (rus) reenactor) so I´m still learning were to find my information and how to interpret my sources.

But the thing is I´m building a auxilliary outfit for the trajanic era. More specifikly Legio I Minervia. And I need some help figuring out what the outfit would consist of. I´m thinking vindalo boots with naalbund socks, calf-lenght trousers, a simple tunic and a cloak for my of duty wear. But what would be appropriet weaponry and armour? A chainmail is always good but I can´t find anything about auxilliary using submalis/gambeson.

Please enlighten me.

Regards

Tom
I think you're okay with what you mention. For off duty I only would attach a belt. Just look for the general type of belts of the period you want to portray. A good start is Bishop & Coulston - Roman Military Equipment, second edition (B&C2). A subarmalis and hamata (chainmail) are okay. For a hamata I would say a short sleeved one without doubling is fine, but I'm not sure about that. Also a segmentata is possible.
ALA I BATAVORUM
A belt is planned. Just forgot to mention it during the writing. Should be two by my count actually, one for the trousers (using the pattern for the thorsbergtrousers because, lets face it, it´s a handy pair of pants to have Smile ) and one "for" the tunic.
When you say shortsleeved hamata, what lenght are you refaring to? Have seen many examples and the most commonly used seems to be a vest-like form with or without should reenforcement. Or is a elbow length that you´re recommending?
I meant a military belt. So, one with elaborate decorations, as this is a sign of being in the army, and it was a hard punishment to have to go outside 'without the belt'.

With the hamata I mean a shirt type without doubling on the shoulders.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Praetorian outfit help VanDerJoik 4 1,808 09-06-2015, 04:00 PM
Last Post: Renatus
  Byzantine cataphract outfit FarDarter 6 2,264 09-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs