Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horses in the Parthian and Sasanian world
Hi all

I wonder if someone can help me to find sources considering horses in the Parthian and Sasanian world

I already found the Osprey books but in fact I am searching for more academic works about the horse and horse equipment

Someone also told me that for these 2 periods there were only 2 finds of a horse bit... anyone having more information about this?

thanks x
Quote:Hi all

I wonder if someone can help me to find sources considering horses in the Parthian and Sasanian world

I already found the Osprey books but in fact I am searching for more academic works about the horse and horse equipment

Someone also told me that for these 2 periods there were only 2 finds of a horse bit... anyone having more information about this?

thanks x

Welcome to RAT! Big Grin

I think you'll discover that horse bits are frequent in burials; and most (if not all) are variations of the snaffle bit, which was used by the Sarmatians, Gauls, Romans, ad infinitum.

Most horses of the periods you're researching were neither large nor small and had dense bone structure, a period before the breeds were watered-down by the long-legged Arabic. I imagine they averaged around 14 hands, with the possible exception of the Nisan. But I'm not a horse expert. Someone like John Conyard might help. 8)

Parthians and Persians (Sassanians) originally came from the steppes, and their breeds evolved from the steppe pony. But, these cultures (as well as the Sarmatians, Alans, Greeks, and Romans) had ample centuries and knowledge to advance the breed into a specific horse that would be ideal for their particular cavalry's function. Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Try this book. "The Rode into Europe" by Miklos Jankovich .
Hope that is of some help.
JonR
There are no real truths, just stories. (Zuni)
Regarding Parthian and Sassanian Horses. These horses were of the Nisean breed. Today the closest to them would be the Heavy Kurdish horses or the Yamut Turkeman horse. These horses were considered large by the Romans, extremely large. They were very scared of the Parthians and the Sassanians because of the size and stamina of their Cavalries. Also, The Parthians invented the concept of graining their horses as a feed. This enabled them to travel anywhere and not be locked to grass pasture paths. Very different than what other cavalry experiences were. Now they could use the size and mobility to their advantage. Now regarding size, these horses were 15 to 16 hands, 16 being on the super large size, average being more around the 15 to 15.2 hand size. This was massive for the ancient world. Furthermore, their baggage train would carry new mounts, grooms and extra armament for them. Which enabled them to use these larger mounts over and over, and when they were tired, fresh mounts were waiting. So they could attack for hours. Now regarding the breeds. The Nisean breed is not traceable today, but to those two mentioned groups, the Yamut and the Heavy Kurd horse. But what is believed is that the mercenaries that eventually served in the Roman armies brought with them these breeds and this was the foundation of the heavier barbs of North Africa and the Andalusians of Spain. The Andalusian people dont want to admit this, but it is commonly known now that those horses were taken from that region. The faster skirmish troops of the Parthians and Sassanians used a horse that is around today, known as the Turkeman and the Akhal Teke. There are a few other breeds as well, what we call the Persian which is a heavy stronger version of the Arab. So it depends on which segment of the Cavalry you are looking at.

Ardeshir Radpour
Ardeshir Radpour
Quote:Regarding Parthian and Sassanian Horses. These horses were of the Nisean breed. Today the closest to them would be the Heavy Kurdish horses or the Yamut Turkeman horse. These horses were considered large by the Romans, extremely large. They were very scared of the Parthians and the Sassanians because of the size and stamina of their Cavalries. Also, The Parthians invented the concept of graining their horses as a feed. This enabled them to travel anywhere and not be locked to grass pasture paths. Very different than what other cavalry experiences were. Now they could use the size and mobility to their advantage. Now regarding size, these horses were 15 to 16 hands, 16 being on the super large size, average being more around the 15 to 15.2 hand size. This was massive for the ancient world. Furthermore, their baggage train would carry new mounts, grooms and extra armament for them. Which enabled them to use these larger mounts over and over, and when they were tired, fresh mounts were waiting. So they could attack for hours. Now regarding the breeds. The Nisean breed is not traceable today, but to those two mentioned groups, the Yamut and the Heavy Kurd horse. But what is believed is that the mercenaries that eventually served in the Roman armies brought with them these breeds and this was the foundation of the heavier barbs of North Africa and the Andalusians of Spain. The Andalusian people dont want to admit this, but it is commonly known now that those horses were taken from that region. The faster skirmish troops of the Parthians and Sassanians used a horse that is around today, known as the Turkeman and the Akhal Teke. There are a few other breeds as well, what we call the Persian which is a heavy stronger version of the Arab. So it depends on which segment of the Cavalry you are looking at.

Ardeshir Radpour

Thanks Ardeshir for your compelling contribution.
Could you please quote the sources, as I'm quite interested myself in sassanian horse sizes. Big Grin
Daniel De Palo
In terms of a readily available reference for horse breeds try Hyland A. (1990) Equus, The Horse in the Roman World (New Haven and London 1990).
John Conyard

York

A member of Comitatus Late Roman
Reconstruction Group

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.comitatus.net">http://www.comitatus.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.historicalinterpretations.net">http://www.historicalinterpretations.net
<a class="postlink" href="http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com">http://lateantiquearchaeology.wordpress.com
Daniel, the references for the Parthian and Sassanian horses are unfortunately first hand accounts in Iran with Turkomen and Kurdish tribes that I have had. And also the demise of the Nisean horse, that is pretty easily findable. Also, with respect to the confrontation of Romans and Parthians or Sassanians, Ammianus Marcellinus is a very well known and often quoted source on those confrontations. Well if you read it with your eyes open for referrals to horses, you will find them in there. With respect to the Andalusian being derived for that, that is something that is highly highly debated. And there are three camps of people in this, the purest Andalusian people who beleive absolutely not. They think that the skies opened up and the Andalusian just dropped there. As if it had no breeding and adaptation. You can read sources from the Arab world which will tell you about the Barbs and horses from the Andalus region of North Africa that they took there to breed with Domestic stock. Now within those camps, you can also find the same references to where their horse breeds originated and you will find them breeding to Persian Nisean horses and domestic egyptian horses to get the modern Arab. The more powerful ones were kept pure and those horses were taken to Spain by the Moors. Now, the Romans had a brilliant method of warfare which is never really discussed. They didn't always fight with the Celts, Germans or Persians. They often employed many of them as Mercenaries. So for example in their campaigns in Germany or Britain or in Spain, they would not employ local cavalry. They would bring Persian or other Iranian tribes such as the Saramations. Hence the legend of King Arthur being transferred by Saramations from the East to the West. In doing so, many of those that were employed were the heavy cataphracts that you see in the Roman Empire. The origins of many of them were in the Persian Historical regions. Such as Turkey, Armenia and Persian Proper. That is why it is almost impossible to distinguish a Byzantine, Roman, Aremenian or Sassanian Cataphract. When they went West, they took the Nisean horses with them. Now on another note, when they fought the Parthians or Sassanids in the East, they often employed Celtic, Gallic or Germanic Cavalry against the Eastern Enemies. They wanted to ensure against any tendencies for loyalty to their own people.

Now, for Persians, it was very sacred for them to preserve the breeds of their horses and they did for a long time by one method. If horses were smuggled out of Persia, then Persian vets were forbidden from treating them. Thus their longevity was shortened. These horses were cared for in a very different way. Diet and maintenance. So when they reached new regions and suddenly did not receive what they were accustomed to, they would demise quickly. Anyone who knows horses understand how vital that is. Things are pretty well regulated today and it is much easier to transfer horses from region to another. Now imagine horses being fed and raised on a specific diet of Rice bran and meal, egg yoke, grains in mass, beat pulp and fatty oils, in a feed ball, being transferred to a region that has no clue about this or fed on grass alone. Collic and death were quick to come. However, overtime as these issues were resolved, they began to successful transfer these horses. On a side note, we have an oral tradition in Iran till today that comes from the Wars with the Romans and finally the Arabs. "Persian, if you die, take your horse with you so that they dont fall in the hands of the foreigners." Often, a Sassanid dieing in war, would dagger his horse as well, or mounted archers are said to have taken a shot at any horse that was in danger of falling in the wrong hands.

Finally there is a third camp of people, which are the other group of Andalusian people who are trying to trace the lineage of these horses, which tend to be the Traditional Spanish schools and Maestros of Spain and they are able to definitively trace that lineage back to the Roman Empire. But the question that has now arisen is, how did a not cavalry military tradition come into such heavy horses when Ammianus Marcellinus clearly states the tendencies for Romans to Fear Parthian Horses. And the only logical explanation is through the employment of Parthian, Saramation and Sassanian Mercenaries in the Roman Army.

As for my opinion, I dont think the Nisean horse is extinct. Up until 50 years ago or so, they thought that the Caspian Pony that is clearly visible on the wall carvings of Persepolis were extinct. A horsewoman from England went to Iran and found that not only they are not extinct, but they thrive in large numbers and in pure pure form in the North region of Iran near the Caspian Sea.

I have been to Iran and seen the Heavy Kurdish horses and the Yamut Turkeman horses and I have spoken directly to the Tribal Elders and their horse experts, specifically asking about the Nisean horse and them being extinct. I was lead to stables and shown then, and they are magnificent and alive. Very few in numbers in the populated regions such as cities and villages, but you do see them and they are strong, about 15.2 hands and look like Andalusians. I took a picture of one I have to find and will see if I can upload it. I was very teary eyed to see them. Im sure you can imagine as a Zoroastrian Persian and a professional horseman, and professional polo player, how that must have felt to see them living today. Furthermore, when I spoke with the tribal riders, they said today when you go to the Turkeman Sahara, they are still there and still pure-bred and still the same powerful horses that they were. Now on the Kurdish side, I have quite a few Kurdish friends in Iran, and I had the privilege of asking them about the Parthian and Sassanian horses and they also said that they Kurdish horse was in the Same lineage and direct descendant of those horses as well. And that not only were they the Nisean horses used by the Sassanian Heavy Cataphracts, but also they were the Powerful Nisean horses of the Median and Achaemenid Cavalry.

Now the Masagatae used a bit more of a cross of these horses and a steppe horse and Akhal Teke. Those horses were not the Heavy horses of the later Parthians and Sassanids. But what they did get from them and the Selucid Greek Empires was a blending and advancement of Heavy Cavalry Armor. The Achaemenids have heavy armored cavalry, but nothing like what you see when the Parthians come on the scene and then later the Sassanids.

This is just a brief and I hope this helps out a bit.

Ardeshir Radpour
Ardeshir Radpour
Thanks Ardeshir,
It's very refreshing to hear a first hand account! Looking forward to seeing the picture Big Grin
Daniel De Palo
You are welcome. I am looking for the pictures myself as we speak. hahaha, I hope I can find them, they are quite nice. Also I will be posting in time a lot of photos on my site at www.radpour.com

Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
Please find the photos! Smile

A lot like an Andalusian? Someone has claimed that the name derives from "Vandalusian" and that the breed was actually developed by the Alans, the Vandal's cavalry arm... who also bred a large dog which is now pictured on the seal of some town in Spain. Don't know about that connection, but it seems possible. :roll:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Well the name of Andalusian comes from Al Andalus in North Africa, even the Andalusian people know that. hahaha But now we know the Andalusia region of Spain for them. I am looking for those photos, no worries, hahaha, I want them myself as well.

Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
Ardeshir, are you by any chance the sassanian re-enactor in the following video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4Jj3ljlys
Daniel De Palo
Quote:Ardeshir, are you by any chance the sassanian re-enactor in the following video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hk4Jj3ljlys
Of course he is! I expected a squad of Late Romans to ambush him at every bush... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello Daniel. Yes I am. And when we were shooting there were people coming by on bicycles and they thought I was ambushing them. hahahaha I was looking for the girl, the Romans were looking for me and the bicycles didn't know what time they were in. hahaha

Ardeshir
Ardeshir Radpour
Big Grin D D D D D D
Daniel De Palo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Glittering World of Sasanian Iran Vindex 18 5,539 07-12-2012, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Eleatic Guest
  Sasanian Chemical Warfare Jona Lendering 14 4,217 02-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Last Post: Sean Manning