Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern people with Roman names
I just noticed that one of the Slovenian players is also named Cesar.
--- Marcus F. ---
Cesar Pocinya
Cezary Wyszynski
:wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I heard in the news that Petraeus is the the new legatus in Bactria.
--- Marcus F. ---
We have a new trainee named Aurelien....
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
In Italy names of friends of mine: Marco, Fabio, Flavio, Marcello, Marcella, Lucio, Ardiano, Giulio, Giulia, Claudio, Claudia, Aurelio, Aurelia, Adriana, Livio, Livia, Massimo, Massimiano, Cesare, Agostino, Antonio, Valerio, Valeria, Patrizia, Sabina, ...
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Roman Polanski.

Sorry, could not resist that one... :oops:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, in French we have many Roman names :

Adrien, Antoine, Antonin, Auguste, Aurélien, Claude, Cornelius, Émile, Émilien, Fabien, Fabrice, Félicien, Flavien, Horace, Jules, Julien, Lucien, Marc-Antoine, Marius, Martial, Valérian, Victorien.

Greek ones too, like Alexandre, Philippe, Aristide, Théodore, Théophile, Théodule, Basile, Constantin, Christophe…

My Great-great grandfather and all the men till my uncle where called Théodore.

Many of the Roman names where Frenchified : Iulius/Jules, Claudius/Claude, Flavianus/Flavien, Martialis/Martial, etc.

Quote:I guess in most Romance-speaking countries Roman names are popular.

Italian: Giulio/Giulia, Claudio/Claudia, Remo, Cesare/Cesarina, Adriano/Adriana, Emili(an)o/Emilia, Flavio/Flavia, etc.

I can make a longer list of Romanian names: Iuliu/Iulia, Liviu/Livia, Virgil, Tiberiu, Traian, Remus, Romulus, Claudiu/Claudia, Cezar/Cezara, Aurel/Aurelia, Titus, Septimiu, Adrian/Adriana, Cornel(iu)/Cornelia, Augustin/August(in)a, Felix/Felicia, Flaviu/Flavia, Hora?iu, Iustin/Iustina, Constantin/Constantina, Lucian/Lucia(na), Marius, Octav(ian)/Octavia, Sabin/Sabina, Emil(ian)/Emilia, Silviu/Silvia, Valer(iu)/Valeria, Victor/Victoria, Fabian/Fabia(na), and many more.
I think Julius is a cool name for a boy. Not sure if a boy with that name here in America would be teased by being called "Orange Julius" after the orange drink, but I think kids can make fun of any name, even the common ones. I would be curious about how many R.A.T. members have Roman names and what your experiences have been with your unique name(s). I love the meanings behind many of the Roman names.
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Nil illegitimi carborundum...Don\'t let the ba*tards get you down.

Luctor et emergo...I struggle and I arise.
My old friend and founder of Museum Replicas was Hank Reinhardt, real name Julius Henry Reinhardt. A Latin-French-German combination. Only in america.
Pecunia non olet
My dog's vet is called Cesar (he's Portugese) and I recently met a Gaius.

And of course there is James Tiberius Kirk!! :roll: :lol: (It's life, Jim, but not as we know it...)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:And of course there is James Tiberius Kirk!! (It's life, Jim, but not as we know it...)
James Tiberius Kirk sounds pretty imposing. What better name for a starship commander than James T. Kirk? Names of leaders should carry a certain weight, I think!
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Gravitas, as it were. Big Grin
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea
Quote:Gravitas, as it were. Big Grin

Yes, gravitas is the perfect word! When you think about it, there aren't many leaders from history or current times with weak-sounding names. Maybe our names really can affect our paths in life.
Bellatrix

a.k.a. Lisa Gail

Hannibal Lector??? Confusedhock:
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Hannibal Lector??? Confusedhock:

I suspect his name was chosen for its rhyming mate.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea