Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army
Quote:Isn't the fellow in the image of the Paullus monument below with the aspis-ish shield mounted?

No, he's just in the background. Hellenistic artists often rendered depth of field strangely, so that figures sometimes appear to float above others, when they are meant to be behind them.

Quote:You mention one of the sarissaphoroi's peltae has a "rim". There is a fellow at the far left who as avery small rim, but I wonder if you are thinking of the righthand man in the pair on the left. I once thought that this was a rim too, but a better image, which I don't have with me, shows that this is an illusion caused by wear on the line that should be the outer curve of the shield. With that curve obscured, what you are looking at is the decorative semicircle, not the outer face, See below:

I'm working from the original publication of this drawing, as found in Altertuemer von Pergamon I, and I don't see the bulge you as you draw it. What is the source of your better quality image? I can re-scan the original if you'd like, or perhaps you can scan your copy?
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

Messages In This Thread
Re: The "Fred thread": the Argead Macedonian Army - by MeinPanzer - 06-24-2010, 08:52 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Images for a book on the Macedonian army part 2 Emki 2 1,740 10-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Last Post: Emki
  Obtaining images for a book on the Macedonian army Emki 3 2,068 10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Spartan Hoplite Impression - was "Athenian Hoplite&quot rogue_artist 30 13,877 08-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Last Post: Giannis K. Hoplite