Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spartan Spear
And in Olympia we often find dedications from Italy. Some of the finds there are not even of greek origin,so one can't know for sure.
These heads look like javelin heads. Small,thick and with relatively wide socket compared with the leaf...
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
Javelin points from Apollo of Vassai in Arcadia.
Enjoy

Kind regards
Many thanks again Big Grin D
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Tony,
Anthony Snodgrass provided a typology for spear heads from the bronze age through to 600BC back in 1964. While being a bit early it is useful in that these types continued to be used. The Osprey title 'Greek Hoplite 480-323 BC' by Nick Sekunda has drawings in Plate J on page 44 shows. They are described in a little more detail on page 62 of that work.

Don't forget the other Threads here on RAT especially link from old RAT
Peter Raftos
Quote:These heads look like javelin heads. Small,thick and with relatively wide socket compared with the leaf...

Perhaps, but I worry that late dory heads are misidentified as javelin points because they are probably much smaller than people expect. In general, longer spears need smaller, lighter heads. Also, many of the larger spear heads might have been for short hunting spears. Hunting spears saw much more use that war spears in many areas.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Here some spear heads
Giannis K. Hoplite
Some more.The smallest of these first ones is my favorite. Very classical and elegant shape.
Giannis K. Hoplite
Thanks Giannis,
After a bit of searching I have found the 2009 Master's Thesis of Yvonne L Inall available online which is: " A Typological Assessment of
Iron Age Weapons in South Italy" Although Italian in focus she includes a figure with the Snodgrass Typology, the discussion of other more recent ones and her own which I like very much.Has anyone come across a Greek typology more recent than Snodgrass's 1964 efforts or covers Classical to Hellenistic types. She covers sword typologies as well but again her focus is South Italy.:[url:26j2aosd]http://ses.library.usyd.edu.au/bitstream/2123/5464/1/YL-Inall-2009-Thesis.pdf[/url]
Peter Raftos
The third item down looks like a knife or sickle. Is that the Macedonian Knife? I would think it more likely than a spear or javelin head. Confusedhock:

So the broad points are more likely Javelins? This makes sense I made a spear head out of a flat scraper and It is HEAVY!!!
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Quote:
Quote:Beautiful,but hardly typical.Etruscans do adopt greek manners in many things,but they do also diferentiate in their style and taste. Nice preservation.

I dont think there is anything particularly Etruscan about it. It is not far from these bronze heads form Olympia.

When one looks at those bronze "heads", there is something that doesn't quite 'gel'....In the 6-4 th C BC for example, iron is used for heads and bronze for butts. These are labelled 5 C BC. They look too thick, and don't have sharp edge or point. Consider also that the butt of the Macedonian 'xyston' was of exactly this shape. I strongly suspect these are in fact butts.....perhaps of cavalry spears. :?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Quote:
Quote:Beautiful,but hardly typical.Etruscans do adopt greek manners in many things,but they do also diferentiate in their style and taste. Nice preservation.

I dont think there is anything particularly Etruscan about it. It is not far from these bronze heads form Olympia.

When one looks at those bronze "heads", there is something that doesn't quite 'gel'....In the 6-4 th C BC for example, iron is used for heads and bronze for butts. These are labelled 5 C BC. They look too thick, and don't have sharp edge or point. Consider also that the butt of the Macedonian 'xyston' was of exactly this shape. I strongly suspect these are in fact butts.....perhaps of cavalry spears. :?
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Wow thanks to everyone a terrific response Big Grin shock: :? hmmm chears.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Quote:In the 6-4 th C BC for example, iron is used for heads and bronze for butts. These are labelled 5 C BC.

The other examples of this type of head I have seen are much earlier- 700s BC. I suggest that the reason they look odd and sauroter-ish might be the difference between working bronze and iron. The early bronze heads often show that robust mid-rib to stiffen the blade and are often hollow for much of the length to save weight.
Paul M. Bardunias
MODERATOR: [url:2dqwu8yc]http://www.romanarmytalk.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
A Spartan, being asked a question, answered "No." And when the questioner said, "You lie," the Spartan said, "You see, then, that it is stupid of you to ask questions to which you already know the answer!"
Giannis off topic but nice pic of the sword Confusedhock:
[Image: BERLINBRITISHMUSEUMS189.jpg]
Interesting to see a lot of the butt spikes are hollow cast,Thanks to Kineas for pic Big Grin
[Image: 4214_105585666203_681611203_2678423.jpg]
Offers a interesting problem to making them :? hmmmm Also noticed lack of rivet hole so I presume they were glued onto the shaft also the spear head? are they any sign of rivet holes?
Reagrds Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
The wood can also swell enough to render the glue as a secondary precaution; just a thought. I have done this and it works pretty well.
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb