Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inevitable Football Topic
What? Still no one discussing the World Championships? Well, then I will kick-off. Enjoy.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well, Steve Gerrard, the England captain, said that the whole England team would get behind the goal keeper. Which, thinking about the game, might have been quite a good tactic....
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
My favourite team is still Argentina (no offense brits, has been my favourite since Mario Kempes played :wink: ). I also like Italy (all the finns are always rooting England and Germany as usual)...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
The following statement is issued on behalf of the anti football (soccer) party :

Football should be abolished and substituted for Gladiatorial games and Animal sports in the Arena's.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
as an irishman i am not watching the world over an certan event (i will never throw the hand of god around again) :twisted:
so at this time i am watching G.A.A
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go Bua
Everyone keeps saying that English keeper let in a soft goal, but they don't realize how difficult it is to stop a shot that has the Full Strength of American Industrial Might behind it. :wink:

We are getting better, slowly but surely. More kids are playing the sport so we're getting a larger pool of talent to draw from.

Oh, and cheers to the Monty Python link! "Marx is claiming it was offside" cracks me up every time.
Quote:"Marx is claiming it was offside" cracks me up every time.
Marx was right. At least about the offside: at the moment Archimedes is passing, he is still outside the six yard box, but Socrates is inside.
Jona Lendering
My website
I had posted an earlier response but somehow it got lost or removed???

Its true that the shot from Dempsey had some juice but it was not a full power shot in the least. The keeper was supposed to put his body behind that shot. Instead his body was off to one side and his hands were on the opposite. Being that the shot was strong enough to get there, the ball deflected through his hand. Had his body been there, I am quite sure the outcome would have been different.

Having said this, I think that the US was a good match for England. Truth be told, on paper, man for man, the English team is far superior in talent. Not one of the strickers on the US team are better than Rooney. Not even remotely but yesterday I was surprised that Rooney was literally a no show as were many on the English team.

At the club level the English players are some of the best but at the international level, when they play together, they become average players nothing to write home about. I do not know why this happens and it appears that no matter who the coach is, England always has the style of play with the long ball and the players doing all the work instead of the ball. They scored around the 8th minute with an excellent Gerard goal but then they just coasted the rest of the game.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
How about Germany? Good Lord they should have scored 7 goals. I was really impressed with them today especially with the speed and technical skills of the midfielders and strickers. Their team is fast, has great indurance and excellent technical skill. Who knows how far they will go.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:How about Germany?
A very impressive start indeed!
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:Truth be told, on paper, man for man, the English team is far superior in talent. Not one of the strickers on the US team are better than Rooney.

True. Did anyone see this amusing New York Post cover?
[Image: usawinssoccer.jpg]

That cracked me up. :lol:
David J. Cord
www.davidcord.com
Well,

What do you expect from a newspaper that leans to the right and agrees with everything the Republican Party says including lies and completely made up history. Notice that they had to throw into the mix the historical nonsense.
We were discussing this the other day with some of my Republican friends who told me that this is payback "if we win". Nothing is ever going to change.

BTW, I wanted to mention Jona, that yes, Germany really did well. However, the Australian team was a dissapoinment. When they could not take the ball from the Germans or they could not physically match up, they resloved the problem with fouls. I have not seen a game in recent memory where 15 fouls were recorded for one team. I could not believe how dirty the Australians played. Its not wonder that in the last World Cup Italy was awarded the penalty. The Australian player that was sent off for that foul should not be surprised as neither should the fans. If you look at the replay, he could have broken the legs on that German player. However, I have to hand it to the Australians that even in ten, they were able to hold the Germans down to 2 goals in the second half. I thought it would have been worse.

Paolo
The Netherlands - Denmark 2 - 0.
Well, the local 'wise woman' said it would be one goal each, and she was right, cuz she never said who scored in which goal... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I would just like to see all those blasted trumpets smashed, doing my head in !!!
Brian Stobbs
Quote:I would just like to see all those blasted trumpets smashed, doing my head in !!!
On the contrary! France already blamed those vuvuzelas, to explain their bad performance in their first match. Their opponents must have heard the same sound, so France’s complaint is hypocritical. That’s why I already love the vuvuzelas, for causing unforgetable moments of immense joy. Nothing is funnier, nothing is better than sportsmen looking ridiculous.
Jona Lendering
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite football club Decius 41 8,228 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Decius
  San Diego Football Hibernicus 4 1,583 04-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus