Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Inevitable Football Topic
Justin,

For someone to be offsides, they have to be behind the defence at the point of departure of the ball from the foot of a fellow team player.

The first Mexico goal was NOT offside. The player was in front of the defece the moment that the pass was made. The contact with the ball was made while the stricker was at the limits of the defensive line. The action was so fast that the French defence was caught sleeping.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
I really start liking soccer... whenever there´s a game, all the roads are free... makes driving fast so much more enjoyable. So, I hope the German team will get to the final, then I´ll have way more opportunities to go on a road trip Smile

Free Autobahn! ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Where in the world did they find these daft refs?

How do you give the first yellow to Klose of Germany for tripping up his opponent NOT kicking him on purpose? Then you send him off and kill the game?

How about the US goal that was not counted? As far as I am concerned, the US won the game.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Bad refs, like tainted meat, can spoil your whole day. :evil:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Justin,

For someone to be offsides, they have to be behind the defence at the point of departure of the ball from the foot of a fellow team player.

The first Mexico goal was NOT offside. The player was in front of the defece the moment that the pass was made. The contact with the ball was made while the stricker was at the limits of the defensive line. The action was so fast that the French defence was caught sleeping.

AFter watching it again, you're right and I take that back. It looked offsides live, but that French defender really was caught flat-footed.
I am sorry and I do not want for people to think that I am picking on one country because I am not. I am looking at this from a neutral soccer fan/player but I think that the England squad is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overrated.

As I said, nothing matters if the mentality of the game is always the same. The ball should work not the players. Oh well, live and learn although in this case its never learn.

Paolo
Quote:I am sorry and I do not want for people to think that I am picking on one country because I am not. I am looking at this from a neutral soccer fan/player but I think that the England squad is WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY overrated.

Both of us are on thin ice now. Slovenia, somehow, ended up in the driver's seat :?

On a related note, this is pretty funny:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-j ... s--one-cup
Quote:Three things:

- That Mexican guy was waaaaay offside on that first goal against France.

- I feel bad for the South Africans; Group A is pretty tough top to bottom. There isn't an outstanding team, but France, Uruguay and Mexico are all good.
I disagree, France has some very good players, but the team is awful (like their coach).
--- Marcus F. ---
[url:2m2ri8dd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7B2LPxggvqY[/url]

:lol: :lol:
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Bad refs. I Agree. But in the end, I just enjoyed the game. Now the important question is how to convince my boss, that the last working hour on Wednesday, will a complete waste of time and money :wink: .
Regards,

Miha Franca
"Balnea, vina, Venus corrumpunt corpora nostra; sed vitam faciunt balnea, vina, Venus."
Tiberius Claudius Secundus
www.vespesjan.eu
they should have arrested all football teams instead for TV pollution ..........
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
All I will say is that Slovakia should have stayed in the hotel. It would have been more productive.

I hope Italy is not going to do the usual pre-madona game strategy against a New Zealand team facing elimination.

Paolo
Alright Netherlands, let's see whatcha got. I made a friendly $5 wager with my friend that the Dutch would win the World Cup, with 4-to-1 odds. I owe him $5 if they don't win, he owes me $20 if they do.

Quote:I hope Italy is not going to do the usual pre-madona game strategy against a New Zealand team facing elimination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prima_donna
All I have to say is that Italy's defense played rather well, the midfield was great, the offense really sucks and unless we can tighten the defense and get a point man in the offense, we should pack it up.

The New Zealand players did not exist in the game and someone really needs to tell them that this is not Rugby. The elbows should be kept down. HOWEVER, having said that, there was no penalty just a brillinat oscar winning performance by De Rossi. I am being honest although I am a die-hard Italy fan.

The refs......they suck. Period.....

I read that there is going to be a FIFA meeting about the US goal? If this is so, they should award the goal and throw out that ref. If not then what purpose would the meeting serve if the result is the same. Even if they throw out that ref, the tie stands so who cares.

I think that we should really look at Argentina as a possible.

Paolo
Quote:HOWEVER, having said that, there was no penalty just a brillinat oscar winning performance by De Rossi. I am being honest although I am a die-hard Italy fan.

The refs......they suck. Period....

Yes, but it is something Italy do regularly! Smile D (

Refs? Gotta agree with that!.......to the point where the tournament is becoming a farcical lottery! ....and the candidates for "Dive of the Day" are coming thicker and faster....... :evil:

Is it any wonder I prefer Rugby ( both codes)? Watched a great match between the Wallabies and England ( even if the ****** poms won by a point, thanks to that man Wilkinson - again- coming on and booting one within 30 seconds of his arrival ! )
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Your favourite football club Decius 41 8,189 04-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Last Post: Decius
  San Diego Football Hibernicus 4 1,575 04-23-2004, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Hibernicus