Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman merchant vessel
Does anyone know where I might find a picture of a 1st century (roughly) merchant ship or trade vessel in cross section showing the interior? I could use as many details as possible.

Also, I'd kill for any first hand accounts of sea travel during the period. I searched the classics to the best of my very limited ability -- obviously I don't know enough to begin looking.

Thanks

ali
(*Perhaps Ali's post should be could be put into a new thread about Roman Merchant Ships or something, since it isn't directly related to the 'America shipwreck' subject?*)

Quote:I'd kill for any first hand accounts of sea travel during the period. I searched the classics to the best of my very limited ability -- obviously I don't know enough to begin looking.

The only first hand source that springs to mind is Pliny - he wrote a couple of brief letters to the Emperor Trajan giving an account of his voyage out to Bithynia in 110AD. The link there has an informative gloss on the journey too.

They may not be first hand, but there are a few other descriptions of Roman-era sea voyages you might find interesting. The most famous is the voyage of (Saint) Paul of Tarsus to stand trial in Rome (AD59-60), found in Acts 27 of the Bible. Here is a breakdown of the voyage, with the original text and notes. This site gives a more detailed survey of the same.

The Ship, by Lucian of Samosata (later 2nd century) is a dialogue, but contains details of the voyage of a huge grain ship from Alexandria to Greece.

And for a contrast to Saint Paul, The Satyricon of Petronius - one of the earliest novels, dating to the 60s AD, has a couple of chapters set aboard ship (beginning Chapter 13). Amidst the salacious goings-on, there are enough details of life at sea to suggest that the account is based on real experience.

Edit: For the cross section of a trading ship, you might find this half-model of the Byzantine Yassiada vessel useful - it's dated to the 7th century, I believe, but the hull and internal arrangement are very similar if not identical to Roman-era prototypes. Compare, for example, this drawing of the Blackfriars Ship of c.150AD, and this lines plan of a Roman Trading Vessel.

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Thank you, Nathan. This is very helpful.
No killing allowed. That is now illegal. You could get in trouble. :roll:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
From Woerden (NL): [url:1n893l1e]http://www.romeinsschipwoerden.nl/binnenindex.html[/url]

Krefeld-Gellep (Germany): [url:1n893l1e]http://www.archaeologie-krefeld.de/Bilder/news/schiff/karolingischesschiff/Krefelder%20Prahm.jpg[/url]

You should look for the modells made by the museum of ancient shipping, Mainz. They have built modells of various vessel.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Salve,

here the link to a paper ship modell with some interior details - rather cheap, by the way ...

http://www.schreiber-bogen.com/

Click on Catalogue - Ships - Roman Merchant Ship

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Some more:

[Image: 036F3002.jpg]

[Image: 103F3005.jpg]

[url:3ltajsbu]http://www2.rgzm.de/navis/Musea/Mainz/NavismusEngl.htm[/url]
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Does anyone know where I might find a picture of a 1st century (roughly) merchant ship or trade vessel in cross section showing the interior? I could use as many details as possible.

Also, I'd kill for any first hand accounts of sea travel during the period. I searched the classics to the best of my very limited ability -- obviously I don't know enough to begin looking.

Thanks

ali
Look up the works of the late Lionel Casson, especially "Travel in the Ancient World" and "Ships and Seamanship in the Ancient World". Both are available in paperback if your library doesn't have them.
Nullis in verba

I have not checked this forum frequently since 2013, but I hope that these old posts have some value. I now have a blog on books, swords, and the curious things humans do with them.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  roman merchant ship found jeffwyss 3 3,683 10-14-2011, 12:06 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Roman Vessel from Northern Africa / Ideas? caiusbeerquitius 9 2,825 11-17-2006, 08:43 AM
Last Post: LUCIUS ALFENUS AVITIANUS
  Dazzling discovery in waters off Spain: 1st-century vessel Ioannis 8 2,309 11-14-2006, 08:13 PM
Last Post: stevesarak