Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macedonian Coin Question
Below a coin, minted when Macedon was divided into four quasi-independent Roman vassal states. The legend is clear: this is the first of the four states. The illustration is also clear: a lady on a bull. I think it is beatiful. Under normal circumstances, I'd say she is Europa, but you'd expect some marine attribute to represent the sea; and what are those two torches? Is it really a woman? Anyone any thoughts?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Bull with line over his head is sacrificial bull appears in Attic pottery in Agora museum and on coins from Elatea Phokis

Jona please elaborate on the following:

Are we clear the person is a lady?
Date?

The torches and the "sanctificcaton scarf" under the asumption "it is not a woman" and apropriate date lead me to the
torches of Kures and Kurespates of the Mithraic mysteries. The head looks like in "Persian headgear"
It is far feched but.........

Kind regards
Quote:Jona please elaborate on the following:

Are we clear the person is a lady?
Date?
Is the person a lady? I do not know; the only argument is her long robe, which is girded pretty high. (S)he has no long hair or breasts.
The date is 168-147, i.e., between the Third and Fourth Macedonian Wars.
Quote:The torches and the "sanctificcaton scarf" under the asumption "it is not a woman" and apropriate date lead me to the torches of Kures and Kurespates of the Mithraic mysteries.
It's one century too early, I'd say, but my argument is, in itself, not perfect. Compare the Orphic Hymn quoted in ps-Aristotle's On the Cosmos, which everybody believed to be Hellenistic, until the Derveni papyrus was discovered. Religious ideas may well antedate their first representation or text. Nevertheless, I am not yet convinced.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I am not "super certain" on the coin.

There were "imported cults" immedietly after the death of Alexander.

Add to the mix the Macedonian cavalry serving Luculus, Pompley and Ceasar.
Retired troopers with local influence and aquisition of "oriental philosophy tastes" ( :?: )

The torches and "sacrificial scarf" give me thoughts.
The headgear seems (to me at least) as persian tiara

The "Mithra riding the bull" is a very tempting interpetation.

The most serious obstacle in my opinion is the date.
Thanks for giving it consideration Jona.

Kind regards
Although i don't see a tiara, and i usually relate Mithra with the phrygian cap(which again i can't see), it seems that this is a man wearing late tunic,gathered in the waist and reaching till the knees, with anaxyrides. This does relate with the depictions of Mithra, and is generally persian style adopted in Greece and even south Italy since the 4th century bc.
Just what i see,i don't have any theory.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]