Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...)
Quote:I agree. Well,i haven't worn full bronze plate armour,but the layered leather cuirass was nothing like the corinthian helmet. The chiton and opened sandals though are very nice! And because i have tested it, not wearing underwear like the art universally show, can be another relieving factor! :mrgreen:
Khairete
Giannis

Giannis not wearing underwear could be a usefull factor when relieving on the run too Idea :wink:
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
You took the thought right out of my brain, brother. :wink: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, authenticity is brutal,but i didn't run in it :oops: :lol:
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
And finally, it's FINISHED!

Two days ago i received the scales and the rosettes from Matt Lukes,whom i thank a lot. His work is perfectly imperfect,if you know what i mean!
Here is the finished thing
[Image: 4870066346_9b2cc210ca_z.jpg]
The last bit of detail was the two lions on the back flaps of the yoke. I really felt something was needed in all that blank area
[Image: 4869456885_c5150916c1_m.jpg] [Image: 4870073230_c466fcc94c_m.jpg]
And worn
[Image: 4870106766_d1cd86ff07.jpg] [Image: 4869489277_8e316c313b.jpg]
[Image: 4869497397_4d491f7768_z.jpg]
And a photo of the old linothorax for comparison
[Image: DSC03543.jpg?t=1281220130]
It has been fun to make, but it was hard job,too. It will take some time till i feel the need to make another such thing again. After all,i should save my energy for something different next time :wink:
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
What is the Greek word/equivalent for "Awesome"? Confusedhock:

Where is the photo of the full panoply?
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
Ehem...THIS is my full panoply till now. In fact,only with a shield i could be a hoplite (ironically i couldn't be as of yet). Greaves weren't necessary and are shown less and less after the first decades of the 5th century. I guess they will be my last part of the panoply,since they're too expensive and less necessary than a shield.

One of the words for awesome is "'A?????" which literally means flawless. A more close translation of awesome is "??????" and "???????" which literally mean those who inspire fear and terror (awe), but they're both used positively only in modern greek.
Thanks for the comment.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Sorry! :oops: I thought in one photo I saw you with a shield?
Now I feel bad... Sad
You still have 100% more than I! Big Grin

In the translations I have no way of knowing how to Romanize the letters. I am not very adept at Greek as of yet. Can you help me out a little? Thanks!
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
No worries.
The first word would be like "Apsogon" and the other two "fovero(n)" and "tromero(n)"
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Giannis, that really looks awesome! You did an excellent job and from the photos it looks practically perfect!

On a side note, I would be interested to see how well it holds up to sword thrusts and slashes, and also from getting shot with an arrow. But by no means am I advocating this testing on your beautiful armor you just completed :wink:
Scott B.
That is truly a beautiful piece of work. Excellent! Laudes and good karma (if only we could give them...)!
Cheryl Boeckmann
Great stuff Gianni!

Cole
Cole
A big bump!

And a question for you owners of a leather spolas: What weight/thickness of leather did you use? USA goes by ounces - 2-3 oz is super thin, 11-12 oz is shoe sole leather...

Time for me to retire the linen linothorax and start thinking about a new, better piece of armor. I can convert thickness to weight and vice versa if you can just give me a little info...

Thanks!
Cheryl Boeckmann
My latest Spola is 12 oz leather. if you really want to bet super fashionable and so on, get white alum buff, available only in the UK. Otherwise, use a 10-12 oz side of veg tan cowhide and consider colour--bright red, dark blue, etc. For more entertainment, add scales--most of the folks in the Plataians have fully or partially scaled their thorakes.

We just made a dozen of these for Marathon--ask us anything...
Qui plus fait, miex vault.
Thanks!

Wow, 12 oz. x 2 layers thick and 3 thick for the shoulders is sore fingers for sure!

I already have scale side panels I can reuse. Pre-blinging, as it were.

Any tips from the women in your group for measurements to minimize my girlish (old lady-ish) figure?

You did say anything...
Cheryl Boeckmann
Well--we don't make them 2 layers thick. They are only 2 layers thich at the overlap of the side fastening and the overlap of the tube and the yoke. Otherwise just one layer thick. The pturges are afixed inside, in two or three layers, as separate "belts". that's how I think they were made, but I may be wrong.

As for your girlish figure--whether man or woman, try to find a set of measurements that allows you to make a rectangular front and back--it works. The rectangle can make breasts and hips "square" if you see what I mean. Too much detail might--ahem--not be helpful.
Qui plus fait, miex vault.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side fastenings on the thorax. John Conyard 2 1,771 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Scale Thorax Research Kineas 57 20,088 11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Last Post: John Conyard