Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...)
Hmm, ok,i guess we can rule out black and clay-orange because these were the basic colours in red and black figure vases. The other two colours used in them are red and white. Red has been used few times on black figure for details, like parts of the shoulder guards, and the rest of the cuirass was black, since the style was black figure. White,though, is much more frequently depicted.
Now, white is not only depicted on vases, but also on wall paintings. There are italian wall paintings that use a very big range of colours, so many that shades of the skin and shadows are represented,and still, the tube and yoke cuirass in all of them is white, with details in black, blue and red, with perhaps some bits of bronze.
The only evidence for a different colour come from 4th century macedonian tombs, that show a buffy purple colour worn by two bodyguards on foot accompanying their lords riding to a symposium. And "Philip's" iron cuirass in Vergina was covered with purple linen.
But even in macedonia there are another three tube and yoke cuirasses that are basicly white, one of them having a small part of this pink/purple.
The Aristion stele colours might be controversial, because i have yet to see a detailed explanation of how they have been reconstructed, or a scientist's explanation. Remember that whatever metal bit on him is painted blue,including his cuirasses attachment points...
So, instead of asking for more variety of colours, i would preffer to see more white cuirasses, especially of alum white leather. I can perhaps show you more black t&y cuirasses than white, and some red ones,and a couple of blue ones, and this is off the top of my head!
But i still don't see any evidence for the Spartans wanting to use red or even worse -specifically not white colour on their tube and yokes.
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]

Messages In This Thread
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Kineas - 06-30-2010, 10:30 PM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by barcid - 07-18-2010, 11:52 PM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Kineas - 10-08-2011, 04:44 AM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Kineas - 10-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Kineas - 10-10-2011, 09:16 PM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Eric - 10-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Kineas - 10-11-2011, 04:59 PM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Giannis K. Hoplite - 10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Dan Howard - 10-15-2014, 12:10 PM
Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by Lýsandros - 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM
Re: Spolas (...thorax ek dermatos...) - by james - 10-16-2014, 03:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side fastenings on the thorax. John Conyard 2 1,789 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Last Post: John Conyard
  Scale Thorax Research Kineas 57 20,665 11-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Last Post: John Conyard