Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Criterion Spartacus At A Discount!
For those of you who may be looking to add Spartacus to your DVD library this is good news.

From now until the end of July, Barnes & Noble is offering all Criterion DVD's (both Standard and Blu-ray) at 50% Off!

Criterion has a well deserved reputation for quality. Their disc mastering and pressing is excellent, their supplemental materials exhaustive and their catalog of titles superb. They are expensive, but this is one time that the premium price is worth paying. But now you do not have too -- at 50% off these discs are quite affordable.

A case in point: Spartacus.

Criterion originally released Spartacus on Laser Video Disc and their edition was considered definitive not only for the quality of the pressing itself, but also for the great extras packed onto the disc. Now that same edition is available on DVD for $25.

The new Blu-ray edition is on sale at Amazon for $18 and this film certainly deserves to be seen in high definition, however ... This Blu-ray release has had its share of critics who think the quality of the disc mastering in not as good as it should be. These critics include Robert Harris, the film historian in charge of the original Spartacus restoration.

Not so the Criterion edition.

Now I am a big advocate for Blu-ray and really do believe that if a film is worth watching it is worth watching in Blu-ray, but when it comes to Criterion and Spartacus I am going to hedge my best. In a perfect world Criterion would release their edition of Spartacus on Blu-ray, and that may happen someday, but not anytime soon, if ever. Until then, at $25 the Criterion DVD of Spartacus is a steal.

I already own this on Laser Disc, but I am giving serious consideration to purchasing this DVD.

Marcus Licinius Crassus knew a good deal when he saw it -- this is one he would not pass up.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Spa ... 23/?itm=28

And if not Spartacus, there are plenty of other titles to tempt even the most jaded movie lover.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Domo Arigato Gozarimasu Narukami dono !!

Brilliant that these titles come available !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Dooitasimasite Marcus san.

Indeed, beyond Spartacus, Criterion's selection of Japanese films is outstanding.

Although Seven Samurai is not yet out on Blu-ray (October IIRC) there are Blu-ray editions of both Yojimbo and Sanjuro as well as Kagemusha. There is also Throne of Blood and Rashomon in special Art House Essential editions (just the movies, standard DVD with no extras) for only $10 each after the discount.

For those who may not know, Throne of Blood is Kurosawa's take on MacBeth and it is outstanding. The final scenes are truly amazing.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Thr ... 2Pid=18548

There are also quite a few modern Kurosawa films and many by other noted Japanese directors.

Then too there is AK100, a collection of just about every film by Kurosawa (at least what Criterion has the rights to) put together in honor of Kurosawa's 100th birthday. The set is on special sale for $200. That's a lot of money no doubt about it, but what a collection of films.

And of course the other great films: Wings Of Desire, The Life And Death Of Colonel Blimp, Henry V, and on and on and on...

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:For those who may not know, Throne of Blood is Kurosawa's take on MacBeth and it is outstanding. The final scenes are truly amazing.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Thr ... 2Pid=18548

There are also quite a few modern Kurosawa films and many by other noted Japanese directors.

Narukami

Reference Throne of Blood, you will notice that from the style of the armor, this film takes place early Sengoku. Note use of Zunari kabuto, but no firearms. The Mifuni character uses three different armors, each of better quality as he rises in rank, although the flashiness of the last lends itself to a "noveau riche" impression. The 'witch" from the early scene in his final appearance wears an archaic armor of the classic 0-Yori type characteristic of the late Heian and Kamakura. He wields a naganata, which saw limited use after the Mongol invasion, (mostly by samurai class women and priests). The iconography lends its self to the supernatural. I think Kurosawa's use of the destinct armor types is deliberate and has a recognisable connotation to Japanese audience of the time.

One of the best movies of it's kind.

Ralph
Excellent analysis Ralph -- proving once again Kurosawa's amazing attention to detail and his drive for perfection.

It is said that when he made the film Red Beard, he had the doctor's medical box filled with the appropriate medicines. Even though we are never show the interior of the box Kurosawa wanted it to be right.

He turned down the offer to direct the TV mini-series Shogun because he felt it was not authentic enough.

It is also said that he always wanted to make a Godzilla film. However Toho Studios never granted his request -- they knew his perfectionism would result in a great Godzilla film that would cost them a fortune. Kurosawa's Godzilla -- now that' a film I would love to have seen. Confusedhock:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
You can only wonder how Kurosawa's Godzilla would have turned out... Perhaps he would have made 'Godzilla vs.Yojimbo'. It might have changed history and saved humanity from suffing 'The Hottie and the Nottie'.

When I win the lottery next month I will audit a film class or two and will produce a remake of 'Kagemusha' set in the late Roman Republic. Everbody on RAT I am not irked at will get a part and will be part of the Big Gaius entourage. Those you who are knowegable of Histor,y even just a smattering, will not, of course, be involved in story development or plot or used as a consultant in any way, this project being a serious Hollywood film. However, everone gets to ride in a gas guzzling stretch limo Hummer caravan and gets a pair of thousand dollar shades to wear. You will get to wave at all the starlets who are in rehab, and to throw empty champagne bottles from the windows as we drive by. Anyone caught not being involved in scandelous behavior will be asked to leave. Film making in Hollywood is easy. You just have to get off on the right foot.

Ralph