Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empirical testing of hoplite performance
This is something that has fascinated me for a long time now, there are three of us here in the Chattanooga, Tn area, so I suppose we could do some limited testing. I will talk with the others and I am sure they would be happy to participate. I have been curious as to how multiple ranks would interact in combat without the rear ranks being subjected to 'friendly fire', I noticed in your diagram that the ranks are somewhat at an angle from those ahead, is this speculative or is there evidence to support this formation? It certainly makes sense, but I can still see a potential for injury to rear rankers. In practice with my own dory I have to be very careful that one of my children does not walk behind me, I reduced the length of my spear from 9' to 7'8" to allow for it to be held upright indoors (8' ceiling height) and I still must be cautious of anyone or anything that may be to my rear as the butt-cap still protrudes about two to three feet back, especially when drawing back to strike. Send me a pm if there is anything our limited number can do to help with the research.

Has anyone tried computer simulation of the othismos?

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad

Messages In This Thread
Re: Empirical testing of hoplite performance - by Dithyrambus - 07-19-2010, 10:20 PM