Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Empirical testing of hoplite performance
Quote:One big problem with thirst rank striking is that we'd need to define a target for them. Unless the promachoi are choking up on their dorys, they have something like a 3' reach advantage. This becomes more obvious with sarissaphoroi where the distances are greater, and the 4th or fifth rank of sarissas cannot engage a line simultaneously with the first rank.

Thanks for the clarification -- I see now that you get a totally different problem when measuring total output. Definitely wise to start out with the simplest design. In relation to that I agree that you need to start out without taking account of any opposition -- as I understand it your dependent variable would at this stage be interference and not how effective a formation is in defeating opponents.

Quote:Yes, because we can have the men "freeze" their feet in position but not their hips. Also the feet are already on the fround making the measurement easier.

Ok, yeah it might be the most consistent measure of the alternatives.

Quote:This is where the experimental design comes in. We'll be getting averages, so any truly dismal hoplite will shake out. Even if our modern men are not the equal to their ancestors, it will probably just mean the averages are all lower, but the trends should be the same. Do you agree? I suppose it is possible to have something of a phase change due to training, but then most hoplites were not so well trained.

You are most likely correct that there would be no phase change and that the trends would be representative. What I was getting at is that the differences in physical culture between hoplites and reenactors could throw some results off when doing more complicated tests. I'm not talking about general levels of fitness or health or having a more physically demanding lifestyle. But in my limited understanding of hoplites, skills that demand high levels of coordination and rythm, like dancing and physical competitions (wrestling), could be common skills much like different skillsets, like playing with balls or computers, are today in Europe. That could potentially cause weird differences when doing more complicated manoeuvres. But again, the risk of that is probably small. And if you would suspect it -- it would probably be easy to do the a smaller tests with a sub-set of reenactors that have lifestiles more similiar to hoplites and see if the results remain qualitatively the same.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Empirical testing of hoplite performance - by Daniel S. - 08-31-2010, 11:18 AM