Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to wear a celtic jockey cap helmet?
I was hoping some of you might be able to help me out. I'm interested in theis celtic jockey cap helm...
[url:m62081hm]http://legvi.tripod.com/armamentarium/id131.html[/url]

I'm wondering, what would be a proper way to add a chin strap or to wear this helmet? Would I drill a simple hole in each side of the helm? Or perhaps add rivets with rings for a cheek strap? I was also wondering what the rings under the neck guard are for? I thought those are only used if there are cheek guards? Or perhaps it is for a holding strap? Thanks.
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
I've seen some pictures of those with just a hole in either side, presumably for a leather or cloth cord which might have tied under the chin. I'd suspect the rings would just take the place of the holes, or perhaps the rivets came out, and the rings are missing on the ones which now have just holes.

Suggestions, anyone?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:I've seen some pictures of those with just a hole in either side, presumably for a leather or cloth cord which might have tied under the chin. I'd suspect the rings would just take the place of the holes, or perhaps the rivets came out, and the rings are missing on the ones which now have just holes.

Suggestions, anyone?

i tend to agree with you .
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Thanks gang. So in the case of the "particular" reproduction helmet in the link, is there a way to wear a chin strap with it "as is". I'm not sure how one would be appliable with just the rings under the neck guard.
Todd Franks

"The whole race is madly fond of war, high spirited and quick to battle, but otherwise straightforward and not of evil character." - Strabo on the Celts
I don't think so, Bren. You'll need to make a hole in either side. If there's a ring under the "neckguard" only, you'll need longer straps, cord, or whatever. It works like this, if words can explain it.

Take about a two foot length of cord. Loop in under the neck ring. Put the helmet on. Using the end that comes from the left, proceed around your neck, side, then front and across through the right hole. Take the cord from the right side, up and across, through the left hole, then bring the two under your chin and tie. It sounds awkward, but it's really not uncomfortable at all, providing you use some kind of tiestring that's not rough on your neck.

Somewhere on RAT, someone posted a picture or two of a Montofortino or Coolus helmet that's tied in the very same way, except the holes/loops are at the bottom of the cheekpieces. Anybody remember where that thread is?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
This is how I do it.

A book that cointains the Morel Collection has this kind of helmet, and it also contains some brons nails with the end bend into some kind of loop.
The author mentioned that it is a possibility that the nails where used for attaching some kind of strap to helmets, so that is what I did and it works for me...

Just my two cents...
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Quote:This is how I do it.

A book that cointains the Morel Collection has this kind of helmet, and it also contains some brons nails with the end bend into some kind of loop.
The author mentioned that it is a possibility that the nails where used for attaching some kind of strap to helmets, so that is what I did and it works for me...

Just my two cents...
Perfect! That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks Folkert.
Todd Franks

Is it OK to paint a portrait of Sea Biscuit on it? Smile
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Sea Biscuit
You mean Bucellarum Maris, don't you? :wink: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Is it OK to paint a portrait of Sea Biscuit on it? Smile

I hav no qlue about what you guys are talking about!! Confusedhock: Confusedhock:
Sea Biscuit :?: :|
Folkert van Wijk
Celtic Auxilia, Legio II Augusta.
With a wide interrest for everything Celtic BC
Sea Biscuit was a famous American race horse, and the riders in professional horse racing here are called "jockeys", and they used to always wear those English riding helmets, called "Jockey Caps". If you turn one backwards, it very closely simulates the shape of the helmet we're talking about here. So the pun has come full circle, I guess. :wink:

Now how do we wear a Celtic Jockey Strap? Everybody knows that one, I suppose.

No demonstrations, please. :!: :oops: 8)
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Belated laugh at the Sea Biscuit joke :lol:
Todd Franks

Quote:You'll need to make a hole in either side. If there's a ring under the "neckguard" only, you'll need
Take about a two foot length of cord. Loop in under the neck ring. Put the helmet on. Using the end that comes from the left, proceed around your neck, side, then front and across through the right hole. Take the cord from the right side, up and across, through the left hole, then bring the two under your chin and tie. It sounds awkward, but it's really not uncomfortable at all, providing you use some kind of tiestring that's not rough on your neck.
Thanks,that makes alot of sense. I can't believe I didn't get that! Maybe I was thinking too hard & making it more complicated than it actually is :oops: :lol: Now, with your explanation and Folkert's pic I can't loose! I just might go with one of these helms now. Does anyone have any experience with Keltica Authentic helmets? I'm guessing I will have to make a punch mark where the string holes should be, before I drill, but I want to make sure this is sturdy metal that won't buckle when I do so. I don't have an anvil, so i'll probably have to put the helm on the corner of a concrete block to make the punch.
Todd Franks

Well, if it were my helmet, I'd put a block of wood under the helmet and hit it hard enough with a center punch to make the start of the hole. Then I'd most likely use a larger punch to make the hole a little bigger than I needed (the extra metal will move away from the punch, to the inside of the helmet). Then with a series of light taps, I'd fold the shards of metal away from the hole, and flatten it back out. You shouldn't need to drill if it's a copper alloy, but of course, you can do it that way. Steel? Well, I'd probably ding a center spot and drill it.

But that's just me.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Well, that's me too.
I have modified a couple of steel helmets. Use a center-punch where you want the hole and then drill it. Your "nail" could actually be brass or copper, even a rivet, easier to bend than steel.
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Celtic helmet of an Entrmont sculpture - Help S. Marcer 0 1,032 10-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Last Post: S. Marcer
  Celtic helmet discovered in Bulgaria; lots of pictures sitalkes 13 6,557 01-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Last Post: sitalkes