Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Secutor I
Hi

I have been looking at the inexpensive gladiator helmets but dont like the look of them. The best I can see from the pictures is the ?deepeeka? AH6205 Secutor I in steel. Anyone familier with this one? How does it rate in accuracy? Construction?

Would it be appropriate to paint it? Were gladiator helmets painted or colored?

Joel
Joel
Not sure if you have looked or not, but you may want to check out the gladiator helmet that was found in Pompeii, and has been making it's display rounds. Heres just one link I found that has some great pics of it, with a little description of it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... ruins.html

Just a fantastic looking helm in my humble opinion.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
"I\'ll Either Find A Way Or Make One" from Hannibal

John Pruitt
Quote:Hi

I have been looking at the inexpensive gladiator helmets but dont like the look of them. The best I can see from the pictures is the ?deepeeka? AH6205 Secutor I in steel. Anyone familier with this one? How does it rate in accuracy? Construction?

Would it be appropriate to paint it? Were gladiator helmets painted or colored?

Joel

Personally I find the AH6205 horrible. (But yeah, I've a custom made Secutor helmet in my collection Smile ) Personally I find that the helmets of GDFB/Historical Reproductions are currently the best off the shelf gladiator helmets. Much better than the deepeeka, both in 'look' as well as in construction, although they might be a bit more expensive. In my opinion all deepeeka helmets need some (or a lot) work, but their Murmillo and Thraex are best.

I don't think gladiator helmets were painted. At least we do not know of it. We know that the helmets from the Imperial Ludus were decorated with gold and silver decorations and full colored feathers. We also know that the helmets found in Pompeii were very ornate (see for instance the one in the link posted above).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Wasn't the (almost) universal metal for gladiator helmets bronze instead of steel?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
I've heard rumor, not knowing where they started or how true mind you, that bronze was the gladiator helm material of choice due to it being "softer" than steel and easier to repair/remove dents. Again, not sure as to how accurate a statement it is, but in a way, it does make sense enough to possibly be true.
Aut Inveniam Viam Aut Faciam
"I\'ll Either Find A Way Or Make One" from Hannibal

John Pruitt
Well from handling bronze, brass and also steel I would not say that bronze is softer than steel, quite the opposite actually.
All Gladiator helmets, helmet parts and greaves found so far are considered to be bronze, except for one Secutor helmet that has an iron base, with a crest and visor doubling made of bronze.
The exact metalurgy of Gladiator helmets has not been researched until now, though Junkelmann writes that the universal designation "bronze" is most probably more often a low zink brass then a true tin bronze.
Olaf Küppers - Histotainment, Event und Promotion - Germany