Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I do not know the grave stele
hi
This stele, which is written and what period?
Can you help?
Thank you. Big Grin

[Image: 3389318159d10ef5e894o.jpg]
sebastia
Where is it located?
Craig Bellofatto

Going to college for Massage Therapy. So reading alot of Latin TerminologyWink

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Train easy; the fight is hard. Train hard; the fight is easy.- Thai Proverb
from istanbul city... Big Grin
sebastia
Probably from Sidon or another Phoenician city, to judge from the script used. Is it from the Archaeological Museum?
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Probably from Sidon or another Phoenician city, to judge from the script used. Is it from the Archaeological Museum?

Yes, in istanbul archaeological museum.
I will upload my own forum.
but I'm not familiar with the stele.
If a request from members.
I wanted to learn to get reply from you.
Thank you.
sebastia
I think Jona meant it could be Phoenician. That was my first thought too considering the script. Big Grin

This may help.
[url:1kbt571v]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenician_alphabet[/url]

Doy you know the museum or collection it is in?
Craig Bellofatto

It is like a finger pointing to the moon. DON\'T concentrate on the finger or you miss all the heavenly glory before you!-Bruce Lee

Looks to me like one of the "Graeco-Persian" stelae from Daskyleion dating to the Achaemenid period. The language is Aramaic.
Ruben

He had with him the selfsame rifle you see with him now, all mounted in german silver and the name that he\'d give it set with silver wire under the checkpiece in latin: Et In Arcadia Ego. Common enough for a man to name his gun. His is the first and only ever I seen with an inscription from the classics. - Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian
Quote:Looks to me like one of the "Graeco-Persian" stelae from Daskyleion dating to the Achaemenid period. The language is Aramaic.
Exactly. More photos here.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Very Cool! I wasn't sure myself!
Craig Bellofatto

Quote:
MeinPanzer:38s9rp8g Wrote:Looks to me like one of the "Graeco-Persian" stelae from Daskyleion dating to the Achaemenid period. The language is Aramaic.
Exactly. More photos here.

http://www.livius.org/da-dd/dascylium/dascylium.html

Thank you all.
I am also very happy to be here.
yes, bingo links.
best regards.
sebastia
Yes, it's Persian.
The cart with the 'tent' like structure is thought to be the sarcophagus and can be seen on a few stele and tomb paintings.
Nice colour on the figure in the link!
Stephen May - <a class="postlink" href="http://www.immortalminiatures.com">www.immortalminiatures.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hi, grave stele I\'ll be glad if readers. diyapolis 22 4,343 07-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: MeinPanzer