Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Der Untergang (Downfall)
My apologies for arriving late to this conversation.

Although Hollywood is famous for the liberties it takes with history, this particular film is well done and sticks very close to the historic record.

The uniforms and art direction are some of the best done in any film, though these have generally been getting better in recent films.

Some characters and events are combined / compressed to fit the needs of pacing or plot through put. The SS Colonel Schenck (played by Christian Berkel) is perhaps more sympathetic a character than was the real Colonel, and some have found the professional nobility of SS General Mohnke (played by Andre Hennicke) over stated, while the final escape of the protagonist, Traudl Junge (played by Alexandra Maria Lara) was not quite so easy (she was raped by Soviet soldiers).

However...

I do not think these points detract from the over all quality of the film or from the story it has to tell. Likewise the performances are all excellent, particularly that given by Bruno Ganz as Hitler. (He was superb as the Angel in the film Wings Of Desire.) It is said that Ganz was reluctant to take on this part and approached the role with some trepidation, as anyone might well do. However, his performance is amazing and after seeing it, one can hardly imagine any other actor playing the part or doing so as well.

IMDB has a section devoted to factual errors and minor mistakes as well as amusing trivia about Downfall -- you might find that site of use.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363163/

In your quest for good films about WWII do not over look Das Boot -- an excellent film on all counts. I find the shorter theatrical release somewhat more artistic in the editing, but the longer version (the so called Director's Cut available on DVD) has its good points and either version is well worth watching.

As for the Bunker, if I remember correctly some years ago, just after the Wall fell, workman in the area discovered what was likely an annex to the main bunker. This annex was filled with weapons, ammunition, Waffen-SS uniforms and other artifacts. I have no idea what happened to the contents (placed in a museum I hope) but the bunker itself was covered over as far as I know. Perhaps some one here has more up to date information.

Jona, you make an excellent point. Thanks for the photo.

:wink:

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Thanks for the tips and the review. At least I have a movie that is of historical value not something like Gladiator.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Quote:At least I have a movie that is of historical value not something like Gladiator.
Valkyrie is not bad either.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Downfall Nathan Ross 1 934 04-12-2005, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Carlton Bach