Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leggings
Hi

Couple of questions about the padded leggings worn under greaves by the hoplomachus and others (the thigh high ones):

1. is there an accepted name for them besides thigh high padded leggings?

2. From what I have been able to tell they appear to be padded quilted cloth, probably linen and not wool. I am guessing the filler was originally horse hair or loose wool?

3. Were they open at the back or a tube like modern pants?

4. Did they end at the upper thigh or include some type of groin covering?

5. Were they typically white or natural linen or colored?

6. Could they have been made from leather or was that too stiff and heavy?

7. Were the ties holding them on integral (sewn on) or separate and if separate one long piece wrapped around or individual pieces.

8. Any good reproductions or directions for making them?
Joel
None have survived so all is speculation. In some mosaics they are depicted as close-fitting and do not look heavily padded, if padded at all. Also, they are often brightly colored and patterned and they extend beneath the subligaculum. In other words, very different from the massive padding worn by the later murmillos and secutors beneath their single, short greaves.
Pecunia non olet
Hi John

Thank you for the answer. So are you saying they are more like tight trousers then padded leggings?

Joel
Joel
For padding use felt instead of loose wool.
Loose wool will tangle after a while and form balls of wool which will create empty spaces in the padding.
Horse hair will do the trick also, but I prsonaly like this between 2 layers of leather instead of cloth.
For leather leggings or trousers you can use deer or pig skin.
These sorts of leather are not as stiff as cowhide.
For cloth you can use Heavy Linen, Wool (lastst longer than linen) or Hemp Canvas.

My theory is that this protection was made of 2 padded leggins which were attached to a small belt or directly to the subligaculum.
If the groin area was also padded can't answer that one, but from expierince I know that padding that part limiteds your movement.
Think about wearing a groin cup.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae
Hi

Quote:My theory is that this protection was made of 2 padded leggins which were attached to a small belt or directly to the subligaculum.
Thank you for the answer. do you think they were open in the back or sewn shut? I could see being open in the back and tied shut with thongs as being easier to fit different body sizes then the sewn type. It sounds like two layers of thin leather with padding between is a possibility. Was Roman leather dyed or left natural?

Also I have seen pictures where they seem to extend down to cover the top of the foot. Was this an extension or a separate piece?

Do you know if there are any patterns or instructions online?

Thank you

Joel
Joel
As John already answered
Quote:None have survived so all is speculation

As far as I know there are no patterns or instructions on-line.
But every one who has ever made a pair of trousers by hand can easily make a pair of leggings, padded or not.
I'm working on a pair of linen (unpadded) leggings now.
Al stitching is done by hand.

Next I'm going to make a pair of felt padded leggings for training and fights/shows.

Search this forum for Dyed leather, you will find an answer to your question.
Regards

Garrelt
-----------------------------------------------------
Living History Group Teuxandrii
Taberna Germanica
Numerus I Exploratores Teuxandrii (Pedites et Equites)
Ludus Gladiatorii Gunsula
Jomsborg Elag Hrafntrae