Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Osprey Magazine - back issues
I was surprised to see that Osprey publishes a magazine-it popped up in a local magazine stand of all places. (same company I think). While this issue didn't have any Roman themes in it, it does have back issues. Does anyone know if any of these are worth the $8 + to buy? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
The military bookstore I frequent in Melbourne sells copies of the Osprey magazine and stocks back issues. I tend to only buy the ones with articles that relate to my interests, but overall I think they're a good, informative read. Not too heavy or technical in an academic sense, which could be a con for some but it's a pro for a layman like me. The full colour illustrations add interest to the articles. The subject matter of the articles tend to be fairly across the board, i.e. each issue would have at least one 'ancients' article, one Napoleonic, one WWI/WWII and so forth. There may be better magazines out there, but Osprey's isn't too shabby. <p></p><i></i>
They have a list of the back issues, but it's hard to say exactly what is in each issue from their format, and harder to say if the article is worth reading.<br>
<br>
www.ospreypublishing.com/...hp/ser=OMJ <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Hi,<br>
<br>
I actually submitted an article idea to them only to find that they have announced that the journal is not viable and so ceased with issue 4.4. Therefore back issues are only going to be sold on a first come first serve basis until stocks run out. I think the preview issue and a couple of others are all ready out of stock. They have had a few ancient articles and I will check my copies and let you know whats there.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Hi<br>
<br>
Okay here goes the list of Roman (or partial Roman) Articles:<br>
Vol: 2.4 - The Roman Invasion of Britain, Neil Grant, 46-52<br>
Vol: 3.5 - Boudicca's Last Battle, Martin Marix Evans, 25-33<br>
Vol: 3.6 - Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you, Stephen Wisdom, 7-15<br>
Vol: 4.1 - Battlefield Medicine - The Ancient World, 2000 BC-AD 500, Ian McCulloch, 15-17<br>
<br>
And other Ancient ones:<br>
<br>
Vol: 2.5 - Hoplite Shield Devices, Nick Secunda, 16-22<br>
Vol: 3.1 - Greek Swords and Swordmanship, Nick Secunda, 34-42<br>
Vol: 4.1 - Greek Military Cuisine, Nick Secunda, 3-6<br>
<br>
There are also some medieval and Anglo-saxon articles which are a bit OT. In hindsight an opportunity lost maybe - we could have contibuted some more articles (even publish whole conversations from this forum ) which would have made good contributions. I know that magazines such as Military Illustrated, Military History Quarterly and Military History want more Roman period stuff if anyone is interested. And what is more It all adds to understanding and encouraging learning of all things Roman Military.<br>
<br>
If anyone is interested in any of the above contact me offline at [email protected] <br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
Murray <p>It is an unscrupulous intellect that does not pay Antiquity its due reverence - Erasmus of Rotterdam<br>
<br>
'Modern history, like a deaf man, answers questions no one asks' - Tolstoy War and Peace Ep. ii.1</p><i></i>
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
Thanks! I'll invest in those.<br>
<br>
That latter suggestion ought to be a separate thread. I had no idea these magazines looked for free lance submissions, but hey, what a great idea. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Rich,<br>
<br>
If you have any trouble getting hold of them I can send you a photocopy. - I'll start a 'Freelance RAT' thread.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
<br>
<br>
Murray K Dahm

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Warfare Magazine / Back Issues Len Campey 2 1,452 07-21-2018, 10:07 AM
Last Post: Len Campey
  Special offer on JRMES back issues mcbishop 0 1,550 12-01-2001, 11:54 AM
Last Post: mcbishop