Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lorica Segmentata / common error
If, in 9 AD it is true that there were Lorica segmentata, as substantiated by the finds of Kalkriese, Then 59 years before,
there could also have existed this kind of armour...

However ! since we lack proper finds of Segmentata remains from the Caesarian era, we cannot be sure...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:If, in 9 AD it is true that there were Lorica segmentata, as substantiated by the finds of Kalkriese, Then 59 years before,
there could also have existed this kind of armour...

Oh, I'd say that's too much of a stretch! It may be reasonable to guess that it was in use *ten* years before, but for something like this I really think 60 years is not a safe assumption. Heck, we don't even know if the first Kalkriese type was a full lorica, or just plate shoulders on a mailshirt, for instance.

Quote:However ! since we lack proper finds of Segmentata remains from the Caesarian era, we cannot be sure...

Exactly! Go with what we know.

I remember when I first saw John Warry's "Warfare in the Classical World", it was the first time I'd seen Romans wearing mail, and I was shocked! Had no idea that mail dated back that far. Shortly after that I got hold of Robinson, though, and he was chock-full of proof, which was great.

Valete,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Were the soldiers costumes of HBO's rome accurate? I mean the trousers as well as the mail?
Richard
In Caesar's day, probably no braccae for legionaries. Helmets and armor were not right, and arguably the wrong details like styles of shoes, belts, pugio and gladius. The construction of tunics is sort of strange, too. It's not a bad show, though, in many ways: there are several threads discussing it. Their underwear might have been accurately portrayed, though. Oh, and we don't know about the whistles, either.

I guess the short answer to the question is, "No, not really."
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:Were the soldiers costumes of HBO's rome accurate? I mean the trousers as well as the mail?

Short answer, No, not at all. There are about a dozen threads on this series already. To find the juciest ones, go to the Members section and find the entry for Woadwarrior, and bring up the threads he started. There's another one in the Reference and Reviews area.

Rule of thumb: Assume that EVERYTHING you see on TV or in the movies is wrong.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:Rule of thumb: Assume that EVERYTHING you see on TV or in the movies is wrong.
Ils sont fous, ces directeurs!
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Can anyone tell what kind of mail they used before the lorica segmentata got more common;(u neednt correct me there ive read the thread 8)
Quote:Can anyone tell what kind of mail they used before the lorica segmentata got more common;(u neednt correct me there ive read the thread 8)

I don't totally get your question Sad But before the segmentata came into use the main armour of legionairies (there wasn't much real 'auxilia' by then, just irregular allied troops) seems to have been mainly chainmail (lorica hamata) or scale (lorica squamata). Some higher allied troopers probably also had access to these kinds of armour. Afther the segmentata goes out of use, the hamata and squamata stay in use (as they always did, also along the segmentata), althoug over ages the look of a hamata will change. (adding sleeves, which become longer, for instance).

And yeas, thinking about the amount of armour needed for the Roman army, there certainly was some mass production in fabrica. In fact it seems that Corbridge (UK) housed workshops to make armour, for instance. Fabrica from other periods are also known Big Grin
ALA I BATAVORUM
The similarity between surviving examples of Roman mail also suggests some kind of centralized control.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
Quote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:3hy45rst Wrote:Well, Harry, they were the last of the real Romans, after all.... :wink: :mrgreen:
OI!! Confusedhock:
You left out the 'U' Robert, it's spelled 'OUI'.... :mrgreen:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:18despr2 Wrote:
Gaius Julius Caesar:18despr2 Wrote:Well, Harry, they were the last of the real Romans, after all.... :wink: :mrgreen:
OI!! Confusedhock:
You left out the 'U' Robert, it's spelled 'OUI'.... :mrgreen:
Don't tell me it took you since october 22 to think of that one Byron.. :twisted:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hmmmm, I don't spend all my time on here, you know...... :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thou blasphemer, thou! What other use is there for your time?? :roll: :lol:
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
@jvrjenivs thx. Next point; sry this may be kinda childish notion; but: do u know if they favoured one of these- meaning they will have noticed how good a chainmail protected in comparison to a e.g. lorica segmentata - since - according to ur confirmation- they had some kind of mass manufacturing - did they have a standard model (apart from the looted armour)?
Quote:@jvrjenivs thx. Next point; sry this may be kinda childish notion; but: do u know if they favoured one of these- meaning they will have noticed how good a chainmail protected in comparison to a e.g. lorica segmentata - since - according to ur confirmation- they had some kind of mass manufacturing - did they have a standard model (apart from the looted armour)?

I think I already gave some of my ideas about the answer to your question in my previous post. The hamata (mail) was used of a long period of time. It came into use before the Romans started using it. Although the Romans (as far as I know) are the first to use it in big quantities. The same goes for squamata (scale armour). Now, to answer your question, it would be better to also know which period you are especially intersted in. Over time things (and mode) can change drastically. In short, I think the 'segmentata' is too popular in modern re-enactments, where the squamata should be used more. The hamata seems to be the favorite over time.

What do you bring to your point thinking a chainmail protects better as a 'segmentata'? At least they knew the hamata before the 'segmentata' came into use and they changed it. There must be a reason, and one of them could be better protection. Remember that is also important to take into account which kind of weaponry the enemy uses, when telling anything about what protects better.

Hope this is of any help.
ALA I BATAVORUM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About the three types of armor Lorica Segmentata? Leoshenlong 2 628 04-21-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: Crispianus
  New find of lorica segmentata mcbishop 18 3,224 11-21-2020, 02:05 PM
Last Post: Simplex
  why lorica segmentata uses very thin hinges? Leoshenlong 3 679 10-27-2020, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Leoshenlong