Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman furniture (Chairs)
Does anyone have good pictures of Roman chairs. I always see those chairs in documentaries that have their legs crossed and have a sort of wide bucket like seat.

Any help would be appreciated.

(I apologize if this is the wrong section but I do not know where to post it)
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
Those type of seats are called 'curule chairs' and were used In the Roman Republic, and later the Empire. The curule chair(sella curulis, supposedly from 'currus', "chariot" - perhaps because such folding seats were used in chariots/cars/carriages - was the chair upon which senior magistrates having 'imperium' were entitled to sit, including dictators, masters of the horse, consuls, praetors, pro-praetors, censors, and the curule aediles. Additionally, the Flamen of Jupiter (Flamen Dialis) was also allowed to sit on a 'sella curulis', though this position lacked imperium.The Romans believed these 'carriage-chairs' to have been of Etruscan origin.

Though they are frequently shown in Hollywood 'Roman' movies, they would not have been in general use....... If you google images for 'curule chair' you'll get plenty - ancient and modern.....
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Thanks for the reply. I did not know the importance of this chair neither did I know that it had a specific name.

I appreciate your imput.
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman chairs GALLA PLACIDIA 49 22,817 02-01-2020, 11:46 AM
Last Post: harveybravo97
  An \"Ikea\" for Roman Furniture (Museum Exhibit Julilla 2 2,353 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Last Post: agrimensor
  Roman Furniture tlclark 15 4,637 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Salvianus