Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Xanten 2011 cancelled
Alas we have heard that there is to be no Roman festival next year due to lack of funding; just when we were getting into the swing of Marle/Xanten alternating with full centuries out at both events.Personally I shall miss all the international friendships which have built up over the years and the lovely sunday mornings waking up early on the Mansio balcony with the birds going ten to a dozen in the garden below you in the early sun.

Cannot help but wonder if its I O M following up his thunderbolts from 2009!
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Apparently.

link:
Der Termin für die nächste Ausgabe von „Schwerter, Brot und Spiele" steht noch nicht fest. 2010 und 2011 wird das Fest leider nicht stattfinden können.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Sorry to hear this! Wonder what the story is, as the event drew loads of paying visitors and one would think this should carry the costs a very long way. It was a very good event, well hosted, so I do hope they find ways of putting the show back on the road.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Well that could have a number of reasons, many towns in Germany are highly in dept, and would need large amounts for neccesary maters in the community. If the money stayed with the museum, it would certainly be plenty, but I would almost bet that a lot is used for the community. Also the thunder storm accident could have happened anywhere, my guess is that money from the town Xanten and sponsors is just a bit tight at the moment.
Martin J.
The lightining strike and the cancelling of the event will have set their financial reserves back a lot. All the costs had been made and the income halved. That will certainly dent your budget. Perhaps the management decided providing this kind of entertainment is not their core bussiness. I do know that is a point in Xanten, but I would have thought a two yearly event would not damage their scientific undertaking too much. Anyone from Xanten on this forum wanting to clear things up?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
That isn't good news, but it doesn't surprise me. Other big events has been cancelled or scaled down this year and next year due to the lack of finances. Hopefully this will be only temporarily. I certainly enjoyed the Xanten events.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Well here in Germany when money is tight cultural things are unfortunately cut back first......guess too much money was given the monopoly players at various banks to play with...... Sad
Martin J.
Quote:Well here in Germany when money is tight cultural things
A remarkable reply. When I visit the museums in Germany (Haltern, Kalkriese, Cologne, Bonn, Xanten, Mainz...) I always get the impression that it's so much, much better than in Holland.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Well I don´t know how it is in Holland but a few museums have to close here in Germany due to cut backs, so maybe you are just seeing the sunny side of things here.
Martin J.
Quote:Well I don´t know how it is in Holland
You don't want to. The State Museum of Antiquities in Leiden, which has a splendid collection, has a map in which the Etruscans are shown in the Abruzzi. That map has been there for twenty years or so. The Etruscan department is completely without light, "because that looks mysterious". And so on. To be fair, the building is hopeless.

Nijmegen is a lot better, but I am afraid that the new museums in Xanten and Tongeren now make a visit to Nijmegen unnecessary.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I would beg to differ on the viewpoint Nijmegen has been superceded by Xanten! Although I do think Xanten has put up a very nice museum, Nijmegen does show a lot of things not present in Xanten. I point out the glass presentation, the many mirrors and jewelry, good coin collection and some well presented military lockets and horsefittings. They also have more building materials and common tools on display. So I would very much say these musea are complementary and because of the relative short distance between, could even be visited on the same day. Nijmegen lacking an "outside department" for visiting schools is indeed a handicap which should (and is) being taken seriously. Unfortunatly, the municipality of Nijmegen is not really very responsive to this, but hopefully, something may be done in one of the surrounding municipalities, like Millingen or Groesbeek.
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers