Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Da colorful "Harzhorn-DVD"
Part 1:
I've got the habit of reading some books from the end.
And with some DVD looking at th bonus-material first.
Also here.
The Menu says:
--Making-Of
Expect the usual procedure here.(Shot from the shooting etc.) An interesting, but minor part.
Some remarks about the Re-enactors and the associated scenes you may find especially interesting.
(The shooting of the Re-enactement scenes was done near Wallensen, --I think this has already been mentioned somewhere else
in this here forum)
Shall we call this a first, but minor cause for nitpicking ?
(Wasn't this an intercisa type helmet there ?! :roll: Hey, this rider seems to have used stirrups, didn't he ?!)
--Germanen und Archäologie / Germans & Archeology
Ein Gespräch mit Professor Michael Meyer/ An Interview with Professor Michael Meyer
Professor Meyer gives us a brief but precise statement on how this part of the Archeology evolved through the last few years
with a special "incline" on how he experienced his work in it. I think that this gives a good overview of the subject adressed.
Even if you know most of the facts, I'd rate this as thoroughly interesting.
--Römer und Archeologie/ Romans and Archeology
Ein Gespräch mit Professor Günther Moosbauer
An Interview with Professor Günther Moosbauer
Dr. Moosbauer therein muses about his fascination for the Roman Culture, how and why he became fascinated and
made it his profession. This also seemed a good introduction to the DVD to me.
Ahmm : now that's what I'd called a like-minded person . :wink:
--Trailer
Yes, more "Hollywood" ahhh Re-enactement in there per second of movie than in the whole broadcast
>"drumming for the business" ?!
Once you've seem the complete footage from the beginning, you may find this completely justified.
--Bildergalerie/Picture Gallery
Hey, according to your monitor or TV-Set: LARGE pics of the essential finds, at least from those of 2008/2009.
(You see size-relations, the appearance of the parts unrestired/restored, finer things like structures and engravings etc.)
Did I already mention that the core concept of the whole footage centers around the 2009 prospection/excavation and
the course of events that led to it !?
Yes, and with some additional pics from the Re-enactors you get another opportunity for nitpicking if you may. :mrgreen:
Forget that diddy in National Geographic Hermany, here you get more than the usual magazine format.
(Actually, as big as your monitor can show :wink: )
O.K. ---- the verdict.
The bonus-material contains a good measure of (partly) new informations and (shall we say ?!) gorgeous pics,
which some of us may consider as a good buying argument on their own.

Part 2 to follow as time allows.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Hi everybody ….
…..sorry, but time (and other things) did not allow …. :roll:
O.K. here’s an overview of what the main part contains.
Foremost: do excuse my lack of practice in English during the recent times, I apologize for parts hard to understand.
(However, I couldn’t find the differences of this DVD to the 45min TV-Special on NDR due to time restrictions, but basically, it’s more than 15 minutes runtime on the DVD)
First I’d like to point your attention to an online footage touching the same subject (if I didn’t do this earlier on already):
http://www.archaeologieportal.niedersac ... nload.html
(The lowermost download – 17:36 minutes.)
It’s on the “2008-level-of-enlightenment”, but not outdated entirely and when viewed in conjunction with the DVD
(or the TV-Special) should provide a more “360° impression” of the affair.
Forum members not understanding German too well, however should not be deterred by the fact, that there are no English versions available. As ususal, I apply my comment “a picture speaks more than words” here, again .
In general the course of the story runs from a general geographic overview to a resume characterized by successive
“introduction” of the the major/essential finds. After a brief overview over what has happened in summer 2000, the first item introduced is the “hipposandal”, initially thought to be a medieval candle-fixture.
After a short re-enactment sequence ( one late-roman soldier or more ?) the plot goes on to how the official explorations were initiated after involving the local archeologist Dr. Petra Lönne who immediately chose to consult the Niedersächsiches Amt für Denkmalpflege and Dr. Henning Hassmann. He in turn took to Dr. Günther Moosbauer
of the Osnabrück University for more advice.
Dr. Moosbauer then explains how he got involved and what a hipposandal is like and why it’s of roman origin.
After a short overview over the questions thrown up by now and further introduction to the geographical situation at the Harzhorn, we have another short re-enactment sequence before getting introduced to the whatabouts of the
further explorations now scheduled to begin (Spring 2008). The area has now become “restricted excavation area” as to protect further finds yet to be made.
Both excavations technicians Michael Brangs and Thorsten Schwarz, commissioned for a first large-scale prospection
are introduced and interviewed. Brangs stresses “the relationship of intuition and finds”.
Then a short excurse is dealing with the way a metal-detector works.
Next is Thorsten Schwarz about “the thrill of exploring”.
After showing Brang & Schwarz at work the “cart-fitting” is introduced a next major find.
Dr. Moosbauer explains more.
Another re-enactment sequence further visualizes the findings.
Dr. Moosbauer puts the find into perspective.
Ideas about the corse of the romans advance are now introduced and put into the map of a LIDAR-scan of the area.
Dr. Hassmann puts the find into perspective there.
Enter: Spring of 2009 – excavations start.
Dr. Michael Meyer of Berlin Free University (the “chief-excavator-in-charge”) is introduced.
He explains how enthusiastic the participants were from the beginning.
More explanations on how an excavation is organized and executed follow. Surveillance and “structuring” .
Dr. Meyer imforms about the best way toward a promising excavation.
After a short summary on the further questions arising by now the next find is introduced: The “Germanic” lance-tip,
found in 2 pieces.
After an excursion to the restoration of such finds, further explanations by Dr. Moosbauer and Dr. Hassmann follow.
Dr. Meyer then puts it “into the germanic perspective”.
A further excursion on “germanic finds” is also put under a further comment by Dr. Meyer.
This also is further augmented by one more re-enactment sequence.
Now further subject are subsequently introduced:
-The place --- a battleground ?
- The”traffic-situation”: a narrow pass--a “bottle-neck”/defile ?!
- Roman tactics
- Germanic tactics
- The Harzhorn: a steep ascent.
Every step is now commented by Dr. Meyer, with some re-enactement sequences interspersed.
Next topic introduced is “the hunt for the time-line” (=dating).
First Michael Brangs is musing about “getting hypotheses straight in the light of the finds”.
Then the next major find is introduced: the fitting of a knife-sheath.
Dr. Mossbauer and Dr. Hassmann explain what it is, with Dr. Moosbauer following up giving an idea of its approximate dating.
An excursion towards the perspective of roman presencein Germany is made beginning with the times of the Varian disaster through the times of the Limes.
After another reenactment-sequence and a comment by Dr. Meyer the next further topic is introduced:
The coins.
A further plot of introductions of new topics in turn with re-enactment sequences or interviews/comments of Dr. Moosbauer and/or Dr Hassmann, respective Dr. Meyer follows, interspersed with further excursions on the subjects.
- Introducing: Severus Alexander
- Severus Alexander’s inability to defeat the Germanic tribes is leading to a revolt that brings up his officer
- Maximinus Thrax as new roman emperor who sets on an expedition into Germania Libera. The sources speak, but no traces found hitherto.
- Roman marching camps
- Roman tools: Introducing a dolabra
- Roman tools: Introducing a tent-peg
- Is the Harzhorn site of a roman camp or a battlefield ?
- Roman logistics
- The strength of the roman forces involved
- Enter: The Hobnails
- Surveilances for roman disposals
- Approaching and leaving a battlefield
- More hobnails
- Excursion: Hobnails
- Even more hobnails
- Mapping the find’s position on the site
- Why legionaries lost their hobnails
- The excavation-technicians: How to sensibly search for further finds
- Finds patterns of hobnails
- How deep excavations should go here
- Using metal-detectors as apt tools
- The place preserves metal parts very well
- Enter: A piece of metal in a tree’s roots: Introducing the catapult-bolts
- The bolts are bent: yes, it’s a battle !
- Maximinus Thrax expediton and who presumably wont the clash at the Harzhorn
- Enter: the opposite side of the Harzhorn: Introducing the animals’ bones.
- Dating the bones at Poznan/Poland
- Excursion: the C-14-method
- The result: 230-240 AD, but a find of a tooth would have given more precise findings.
- Michael Brangs finds a piece of metal which looks like a stirrup
- The stirrup is x-rayed and sandblasted
- Enter: A lance-shoe : the proof of presence of roman cavalry.
- Where Thrax’ forces victorious ?
- Introducing another nearby find: 2 three-winged arrow-tip, typical of roman archers.
- Alongside another tip: leaf-shaped and two-edged , typical of germanic archers, used as auxiliaries by the romans.
- A shift of place: Lots of catapult-bolts near the ridge of the Harzhorn. ( ca. 40of them in one place alone)
- The romans did plaster the germanic commanders from two positions.
- No signs of hand-to-hand-combat yet
- A battles’ aftermath , about 2000 years later
- Looking for the movements
- Near the catapult-bolts on the ridge: Even more hobnails (over 100)
- Michael Brangs: looking for finds depicting battle-moves right in the middle of the other finding-spots.
- Introducing: a roman spear-tip nearer towards the ridge. A roman assault up-hill.
- The presumed course of the battle and the hobnails to prove it.
- Traces of the Romans marching off: the prove of a battle won.
- Epilogue: how history went on.
- End of excavations 2009: a review.
- Looking back: From a presumed medieval finding place to a singular and spectacular roman battlefield.

As the official website may indicates, there might have been some sort of “dramatic enhancement” having taken place,
but I do not know much enough, so as to point my finger on it.
But all in all I’d recommend buying the DVD or at least viewing what is available of it on the net.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Hi everybody ….
…..sorry, but time (and other things) did not allow ….
.......and "boing" , Version one got lost in "Silicon Valley". :oops:
O.K. here’s an overview of what the main part contains.
Foremost: do excuse my lack of practice in English during the recent times, I apologize for parts hard to understand.
(However, I couldn’t find the differences of this DVD to the 45min TV-Special on NDR due to time restrictions, but basically, it’s more than 15 minutes runtime on the DVD)
First I’d like to point your attention to an online footage touching the same subject (if I didn’t do this earlier on already):
[url:3amvuz6i]http://www.archaeologieportal.niedersachsen.de/harzhorn/download.html[/url]
(The lowermost download – 17:36 minutes.)
It’s on the “2008-level-of-enlightenment”, but not outdated entirely and when viewed in conjunction with the DVD
(or the TV-Special) should provide a more “360° impression” of the affair.
Forum members not understanding German too well, however should not be deterred by the fact, that there are no English versions available. As ususal, I apply my comment “a picture speaks more than words” here, again .
In general the course of the story runs from a general geographic overview to a resume characterized by successive
“introduction” of the the major/essential finds. After a brief overview over what has happened in summer 2000, the first item introduced is the “hipposandal”, initially thought to be a medieval candle-fixture.
After a short re-enactment sequence ( one late-roman soldier or more ?) the plot goes on to how the official explorations were initiated after involving the local archeologist Dr. Petra Lönne who immediately chose to consult the Niedersächsiches Amt für Denkmalpflege and Dr. Henning Hassmann. He in turn took to Dr. Günther Moosbauer
of the Osnabrück University for more advice.
Dr. Moosbauer then explains how he got involved and what a hipposandal is like and why it’s of roman origin.
After a short overview over the questions thrown up by now and further introduction to the geographical situation at the Harzhorn, we have another short re-enactment sequence before getting introduced to the whatabouts of the
further explorations now scheduled to begin (Spring 2008). The area has now become “restricted excavation area” as to protect further finds yet to be made.
Both excavations technicians Michael Brangs and Thorsten Schwarz, commissioned for a first large-scale prospection
are introduced and interviewed. Brangs stresses “the relationship of intuition and finds”.
Then a short excurse is dealing with the way a metal-detector works.
Next is Thorsten Schwarz about “the thrill of exploring”.
After showing Brang & Schwarz at work the “cart-fitting” is introduced a next major find.
Dr. Moosbauer explains more.
Another re-enactment sequence further visualizes the findings.
Dr. Moosbauer puts the find into perspective.
Ideas about the corse of the romans advance are now introduced and put into the map of a LIDAR-scan of the area.
Dr. Hassmann puts the find into perspective there.
Enter: Spring of 2009 – excavations start.
Dr. Michael Meyer of Berlin Free University (the “chief-excavator-in-charge”) is introduced.
He explains how enthusiastic the participants were from the beginning.
More explanations on how an excavation is organized and executed follow. Surveillance and “structuring” .
Dr. Meyer imforms about the best way toward a promising excavation.
After a short summary on the further questions arising by now the next find is introduced: The “Germanic” lance-tip,
found in 2 pieces.
After an excursion to the restoration of such finds, further explanations by Dr. Moosbauer and Dr. Hassmann follow.
Dr. Meyer then puts it “into the germanic perspective”.
A further excursion on “germanic finds” is also put under a further comment by Dr. Meyer.
This also is further augmented by one more re-enactment sequence.
Now further subject are subsequently introduced:
-The place --- a battleground ?
- The”traffic-situation”: a narrow pass--a “bottle-neck”/defile ?!
- Roman tactics
- Germanic tactics
- The Harzhorn: a steep ascent.
Every step is now commented by Dr. Meyer, with some re-enactement sequences interspersed.
Next topic introduced is “the hunt for the time-line” (=dating).
First Michael Brangs is musing about “getting hypotheses straight in the light of the finds”.
Then the next major find is introduced: the fitting of a knife-sheath.
Dr. Mossbauer and Dr. Hassmann explain what it is, with Dr. Moosbauer following up giving an idea of its approximate dating.
An excursion towards the perspective of roman presencein Germany is made beginning with the times of the Varian disaster through the times of the Limes.
After another reenactment-sequence and a comment by Dr. Meyer the next further topic is introduced:
The coins.
A further plot of introductions of new topics in turn with re-enactment sequences or interviews/comments of Dr. Moosbauer and/or Dr Hassmann, respective Dr. Meyer follows, interspersed with further excursions on the subjects.
- Introducing: Severus Alexander
- Severus Alexander’s inability to defeat the Germanic tribes is leading to a revolt that brings up his officer
- Maximinus Thrax as new roman emperor who sets on an expedition into Germania Libera. The sources speak, but no traces found hitherto.
- Roman marching camps
- Roman tools: Introducing a dolabra
- Roman tools: Introducing a tent-peg
- Is the Harzhorn site of a roman camp or a battlefield ?
- Roman logistics
- The strength of the roman forces involved
- Enter: The Hobnails
- Surveilances for roman disposals
- Approaching and leaving a battlefield
- More hobnails
- Excursion: Hobnails
- Even more hobnails
- Mapping the find’s position on the site
- Why legionaries lost their hobnails
- The excavation-technicians: How to sensibly search for further finds
- Finds patterns of hobnails
- How deep excavations should go here
- Using metal-detectors as apt tools
- The place preserves metal parts very well
- Enter: A piece of metal in a tree’s roots: Introducing the catapult-bolts
- The bolts are bent: yes, it’s a battle !
- Maximinus Thrax expediton and who presumably wont the clash at the Harzhorn
- Enter: the opposite side of the Harzhorn: Introducing the animals’ bones.
- Dating the bones at Poznan/Poland (EDIT > = the bones from the Harz horn --at a scientific laboratory there)
- Excursion: the C-14-method
- The result: 230-240 AD, but a find of a tooth would have given more precise findings.
- Michael Brangs finds a piece of metal which looks like a stirrup
- The stirrup is x-rayed and sandblasted
- Enter: A lance-shoe : the proof of presence of roman cavalry.
- Where Thrax’ forces victorious ?
- Introducing another nearby find: 2 three-winged arrow-tip, typical of roman archers.
- Alongside another tip: leaf-shaped and two-edged , typical of germanic archers, used as auxiliaries by the romans.
- A shift of place: Lots of catapult-bolts near the ridge of the Harzhorn. ( ca. 40of them in one place alone)
- The romans did plaster the germanic commanders from two positions.
- No signs of hand-to-hand-combat yet
- A battles’ aftermath , about 2000 years later
- Looking for the movements
- Near the catapult-bolts on the ridge: Even more hobnails (over 100)
- Michael Brangs: looking for finds depicting battle-moves right in the middle of the other finding-spots.
- Introducing: a roman spear-tip nearer towards the ridge. A roman assault up-hill.
- The presumed course of the battle and the hobnails to prove it.
- Traces of the Romans marching off: the prove of a battle won.
- Epilogue: how history went on.
- End of excavations 2009: a review.
- Looking back: From a presumed medieval finding place to a singular and spectacular roman battlefield.

As the official website may indicates, there might have been some sort of “dramatic enhancement” having taken place,
but I do not know much enough, so as to point my finger on it.
But all in all I’d recommend buying the DVD or at least viewing what is available of it on the net.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
.... some parts of the 45-minutes version (= the TV-version , not the DVD) compiled here :
[url:39nkpjmy]http://www.tribur.de/blog/?p=10467[/url]

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
The full 45-Minutes version is here:
http://www.ndr.de/fernsehen/sendungen/45...en151.html
In German.
(Access available for limited time only)
To be broadcast on 3SAT at April, 1st, 14.00 CEST and
on NDR3 April, 5th, 22.35 CEST > Repeat performances !
Another short clip (In German) :
http://www.bild.de/video/clip/archaeolog....bild.html

Enjoy.

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Update.
Video available from other sources now.
e.g.
http://dokumonster.de/sehen/2876-raetsel...-harzhorn/

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,935 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus