Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3rd century love charm
Came across this to cheer you up on a Monday morning= a love charm from Oxyrhynchus.

To quote from the site
Quote:This earthenware bowl is inscribed horizontally around its circumference with a magical love-charm to attract the favours of one Matrona daughter of Tagene to the smitten Theodorus son of Techosis, who commissioned the charm. The bowl came from a cemetery at Oxyrhynchus where it had been entrusted for communication to the powers of the underworld. The letter-shapes are familiar from documentary texts of the third and fourth centuries. The writing follows the horizontal ridges formed by the throwing of the pot as though guide-lines for writing.
The text of the love charm on the bowl is identical with that inscribed on two defixiones, inscribed love-curses on lead tablets (image).

All three were found together with another terracotta bowl, uninscribed but stuffed with an extended love-charm written on papyrus, which was further wrapped around two humanoid figures formed out of wax, holding each other in a sympathetic embrace (publ. D.Wortmann, Bonner Jahrb. 168, 1968, 56ff.; ZPE 72, 1988, 245ff.):

The earthen ware bowl (love charm inside)
[Image: magicbowl1.jpg]

The love charm still wrapped
[Image: magicwad.jpg]

The love charm half unwrapped showing the human figures
[Image: magicwrap.jpg]

The lovers (or perhaps more likely, would be lovers)
[Image: magichug.jpg]
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I wondered if it worked :wink:
He who desires peace ,let him prepare for war. He who wants victory, let him train soldiers diligently. No one dares challenge or harm one who he realises will win if he fights. Vegetius, Epitome 3, 1st Century Legionary Thomas Razem
What a fantastic piece! If this was in Papyri Graecae Magicae I never noticed these great pictures with it. Reminds me of the two waxen figures shown in Warrior,V. 2006 Roman Religion rolled up in a papyrus...
VOTUM SOLVIT LIBENS MERITO
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
MOGONS
Adam Parker
Do you by any chance know if it also was published in P.Oxy ? and which volume ? i might seek it out then !!

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.