Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Armatura Press website...
... has disappeared from dns (so if you type www.armatura.co.uk you won't be able to find it), but is still accessible by its more conventional URL, which is<br>
<br>
www.armatura.connectfree.co.uk/armatura/<br>
<br>
I am trying to get my domain host to sort it out, but they seem a little lackadaisical at the moment.<br>
<br>
Mike Bishop <p></p><i></i>
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
Does the August press date mean that the first volume is available? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX.
http://www.geocities.com/richsc53/studies/ </p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
If only! I am swamped by stuff at the moment - and volume 2 has just turned up and bumped into the back of the log jam. I need more hours in the day and *not* dns failures!<br>
<br>
As soon as it is available, those who have subscribed will receive theirs by post, those wanting to buy from Oxbow will have to wait a little longer for them to work their way through the system.<br>
<br>

...is back where it should be:<br>
<br>
www.armatura.co.uk/<br>
<br>
and somebody even said 'sorry' to me - amazing!<br>
<br>

I have heard a rumour that publication is imminent??<br>
Derek <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
Well I am sitting in a room stuffed to the gunwales with labelled packets containing volume 1. Start pouring libations to the god of posties and you may get it before Crimble is upon us (if you live in the UK at least); those going abroad will be going by airmail, so allowing for al Qaeda, skymarshalls, airport strikes over Christmas, and who knows what else, they begin their voyage tomorrow... assuming they aren't all airdropped over Iraq through some huge logistical error.<br>
<br>

I trotted right over to Oxbow (Brown actually..they seem a bit behind Oxbow ) and ordered volume 1, which I guess is the first one to be published? <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 12/31/02 1:41:59 pm<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I just received my copy of LORICA SEGMENTATA, Volume I, A Handbook of Articulated Roman Plate Armour, M.C. Bishop, JRMES monograph No. 1, The Armatura Press<br>
<br>
Cool!<br>
<br>
Excellent!<br>
<br>
Wow.<br>
<br>
Thanks Mike!<br>
<br>
"S. Richards pers. comm." ...cool<br>
<br>
Hibernicus<br>
Legio IX Hispana<br>
et<br>
Cohors I Britannorum (USA) <p></p><i></i>
Hibernicus

LEGIO IX HISPANA, USA

You cannot dig ditches in a toga!

[url:194jujcw]http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org[/url]
A nationwide club with chapters across N America
Both the Armatura Press ( www.armatura.co.uk ) and Lorica Seg ( www.loricasegmentata.org ) websites have been updated and revised and there will be more coming to the latter in the near future.<br>
<br>

Love the lorica segmentata site. I think it's interesting that the armor depicted on the Alba Iulia statue is considered a type. The Alba Iulia statue is, as I understand it, heavily damaged and difficult to interpret (A soldier? A gladiator? Mars?). If it can be classified as a lorica segmentata variation on this evidence (lorica seg plate torso with scale shoulders), then wouldn't it also be fair to classify the armor depicted on the relief from Arlon, France as yet another lorica segmentata variation (lorica seg plate shoulders, mail torso)?<br>
<br>
The evidence seems to suggest that the Romans were often concerned with extra shoulder protection, so it's hard to understand why anyone would produce an armor with a "solid" plate laminated torso but "flexible" scale shoulder protection. Then again, one is quickly reminded of the Dura Europas cataphract graffiti, which seems to show a plate torso defense but with the upper chest and shoulder protected by mail.<br>
<br>
I suppose it will be necessary to wait for some reenactor to recreate the Alba Iulia armor and run around in it for a while so we can figure out it's practical advantages and disadvantages.<br>
<br>
Gregg<br>
<p></p><i></i>
<em>Love the lorica segmentata site. I think it's interesting that the armor depicted on the Alba Iulia statue is considered a type. The Alba Iulia statue is, as I understand it, heavily damaged and difficult to interpret (A soldier? A gladiator? Mars?). If it can be classified as a lorica segmentata variation on this evidence (lorica seg plate torso with scale shoulders), then wouldn't it also be fair to classify the armor depicted on the relief from Arlon, France as yet another lorica segmentata variation (lorica seg plate shoulders, mail torso)?</em><br>
<br>
A gladiator is unlikely (he has a scabbard) and if it is Mars, he is being depicted as a legionary. The Arlon armour (which is discussed in the book) is even less certain than the Alba Iulia cuirass (the relief being open to multiple interpretations, whereas that from Alba Iulia is much less so). There is no doubting the scale shoulder sections, breastplates, or segmental girth hoops (I examined the sculpture in 1987 - it is damaged, but not so badly that you can't tell things like that).<br>
<br>
<em>The evidence seems to suggest that the Romans were often concerned with extra shoulder protection, so it's hard to understand why anyone would produce an armor with a "solid" plate laminated torso but "flexible" scale shoulder protection. Then again, one is quickly reminded of the Dura Europas cataphract graffiti, which seems to show a plate torso defense but with the upper chest and shoulder protected by mail.</em><br>
<br>
<em>I suppose it will be necessary to wait for some reenactor to recreate the Alba Iulia armor and run around in it for a while so we can figure out it's practical advantages and disadvantages. </em><br>
<br>
Probably best to wait until some has been found that can incontestably be said to be an Alba Iulia - nearly all the pieces to make one were in the Carlisle Millennium find (and the Carnuntum Waffenmagazin, come to that) but never physically close enough to be sure. We need them corroded together in a rustball (like the Corbridge Hoard) for anything approaching certainty. In addition, the depiction of scale on the monument is open to interpretation, and whilst I suspect large iron scales were used (although I used copper alloy for the reconstruction;-) you can't prove they were a) large (it's easier to carve a few large scales than a lot of small ones) or b) iron, as it's only carved stone.<br>
<br>

Mikes Book contributed to a great Christmas. A long awaited update on all the latest finds with excellent illustrations to back up the text. I was pleased to see that Mike had included some input from we users. For the first time I could get the Kalkreise and Newstead types into some perspective. Interesting Mike says that experience lead to preference of the hook over strap fittings. This is obviously true although my experience is that the strap is more reliable than the hooks which are always breaking at the wrong moments.Again most of the Guard Loricae ARE Bs and the sample is not representative. We are also shown the correct method of wearing a Manica.<br>
Note though that the book is not a construction guide it neither has full plans nor detailed construction techniques. Mathews site is where to look for those.<br>
There is a second book which will illustrate all the finds to date so we look forward to that.<br>
Mike please note page 21 . There is no fig 3.5! <p></p><i></i>
Quod imperatum fuerit facimus et ad omnem tesseram parati erimus
<em>Mike please note page 21 . There is no fig 3.5!</em><br>
<br>
Don't I know it :-(<br>
<br>

Derek,<br>
<br>
Would it be possible to see an image of the guard wearing its manicae?<br>