Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review: The Sarmatians 600 BC - AD 450 (Men-at-Arms #373)
By R. Brzezinski & M. Mielczarek<br>
<br>
The Sarmatians were one of Rome’s most implacable foes, the first recorded conflict occurring in 16 BC, and hostilities never really let up until the collapse of the Western Roman Empire. Considering the important role the Sarmatians played in the military history of the Roman Empire, it’s surprising how few works about them are available in English. This book does a very good job as a basic introduction (technically I suppose this should fall into the Enemies of Rome series, but I guess Osprey discontinued it). The book covers the history of the Sarmatian people, and each of the important Sarmatian tribes, like the Roxolani and the Iazyges, as well as the Alans (even though the Alans are generally considered to have been a people separate from, though very similar to the Sarmatians). It also examines Sarmatian costume, armor, and weapons, including the Sarmatian bow, the ring pommel sword, and the fabled contus Sarmaticus long lance. Brzezinski makes good use of surviving evidence, including written sources, archeological finds, and artistic representations, the most important being Sarmatian, Bosporan and Roman. There are also very interesting discussions about the Sarmatian horse, the draco standard, as well as the basic appearance of the Sarmatians themselves (cranial deformation and tattooing were both practiced at different times by various tribes).<br>
<br>
The book was co-authored by Richard Brzezinski and Mariusz Mielczarek, though reading it I got the distinct impression that the book itself was written by Brzezinski alone. I know Mielczarek doesn’t speak English, and the feeling I got was that Brzezinski wrote the book based primarily on Mielzarek’s research (though Brzezinski is apparently a historian who specializes in Eastern Europe).<br>
<br>
Brzezinski dispels the long-held myth that the Sarmatians conquered their Scythian cousins by developing a kind of heavily armored cavalry, armed with long lances. In fact, none of the written accounts of the Sarmatians indicate that the armored horseman wielding a long lance was developed until the first century AD, long after the Sarmatians had supplanted the Scythians (the Sarmatians seem to have been materially much poorer than their Scythian cousins, so differences in military equipment and tactics may have had little to do with it). Brzezinski also notes that while there is much evidence for the existence of the armored Sarmatian horseman, there is very little for the existence of armored Sarmatian horses. In fact, there are only two existing representations of Sarmatians riding armored horses, and neither is actually Sarmatian (one is Bosporan and the other Roman - Trajan’s Column). However, there are many representations of armored Sarmatian riders on horses without armor. Also, the Sarmatian horse does not seem to have been particularly large, probably no bigger than the Roman pony, and was probably roughly the same breed as the typical steppe pony. I should also note (though the author doesn’t) that none of the ancient sources refer to Sarmatian cavalry as “cataphracts,â€ÂÂ
Hi sounds like a great little book. I have become interested in the interactions of the the ancient world with the cultures from asia.<br>
<br>
Regards horned saddles Goldsworthy wrote in his "Punic Wars" that the horned saddle was already used back then and might have been invented in Gaul! If one extends Gaul to mean Celtic, and keeps the idea that the Romans got the horned saddle from the Gauls, then there is still some room for agreement. The Celts did go deep into central europe and these maybe did pick up ideas from the ancient peoples living in the plains to the east. Those eastern peoples always did tend to drift south westwardly into collision course with the celts first and the romans later. Maybe the horned saddle got to Gaul from celtic connections.<br>
<br>
<br>
p.s. Where I live in north Italy near Venice there are a few small towns whose names (Sarmego, Sarmeola,...) some say come from "Sarmatian" due to settlements the romans organized in those areas that had de-populated<br>
(plague under Marcus, Marcomanic Wars, and later barbarian breakthrough under Aurelian).<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Salve,<br>
<br>
The <em>Notitia Dignitatum</em> lists a range of <em>praefecti Sarmatarum gentilium</em> (prefects of Sarmatian tribesmen) in charge of barbarian settlers throughout Italy.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>
Bachrach (Bachrach, Bernard S. (1973): A History of the Alans in the West, from their first appearance in the sources of classical antiquity through the early middle ages, University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis) describes in detail the settlements of sarmatians in northern Italy and the possibly derived place-names. Groups of Alans may have been settled in that same area later.<br>
<br>
On that account, I was a tad disappointed by the Osprey book. Of course, this was a big chunk of history in a small book, but still, I missed a lot of info on the later Roman period, where Sarmatians and Alans played an important role. Not too much has been written about that, and this book did nothing to remedy that.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Robert<br>
<br>
'Cives Francorum, Miles Romanorum'<br>
www.fectio.org.uk<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
It was adequate, so far as Ospreys go. I was a bit disappointed that the author's merely parroted Coulston's misconceptions about the Draco standard. Ascribing, so called 'wolf-headed' dracos to the barbarians and 'snake-headed' dracos to the Romans is pure fantasy, and indicates the briefest study of the evidence. Roman art, including several examples of Roman military equipment, abounds with depictions of 'dragons' with wolflike ears and canine teeth. but also, scaled reprtilian bodies and even wings. This is the consistent style of all Ketos-type 'sea dragons' in Greco-Roman art, none of which bear any influence from 'barbaric' origins. There may be well over 100 representations of these wolf-eared 'dragons' swallowing Jonah in early Christian art, but nearly as common in pre-Christian Greco Roman art as well. (these wolf eared Roman dragons persisited throughout the middle ages and can still be seen on the flag of Wales).<br>
<br>
In fact, in all liklihood the beautifully executed Barbarian dracos seen on Trajan's Column and other Roman monuments were likely made by civilized greco-roman artisians, as so many luxury goods of the steppe tribes were. I have a nice copy of a Greek Ketos sea dragon brooch from the Metropolitan Museum of Art that was found in a Scythian Grave. It's wolf-eared head is identical to that on so-called barbarian dracos. All of these Steppe barbarians seemed to love classical jewelry and utensils decorated with dragons griffins lions and other fierce beasts -- indicative of their bloodthirsty and savage nature.<br>
Dan. <p></p><i></i>